Regence Boeing Blue Cross/Shield PPO question..

Ryan F.
on 3/18/05 1:45 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi, I am a 20 year old male who weighs close to 400 lbs seeking WLS. My surgery date is 3/20/05, but the my insurance company (Regence Boeing Blue Cross/Shield PPO) hasnt approved me yet. I researched the web about them and the company is in Seattle, and many people from seattle had no problem getting approved for the surgery. They ask for 5 years of documentation stating that I was 100lbs over weight which I was almost all my life. They also want 1 years worth of me trying to lose weight medically, which I did 2 times (nutritionist and weigh****chers.) The nutritionist I seen 2000-2001 and the insurer said that is too long ago, and weigh****chers wont give me documentation. So I dont know what to do. My surgeon and his office seem to be very helpful though, I just am getting scared, because its about 11 days away, and I am still not approved. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Ryan F.
on 3/18/05 4:07 pm - Philadelphia, PA
3/30/05*
Jerry W.
on 3/19/05 3:32 am - Mount Vernon, WA
I assume you have been under a doctors care ahve you seen him or her on a regular bases ..maybe they can write up something for you about some of the things that they have tried with you..I know over the years my doctor made me make lists of what I ate and what the cals were and fats and proteins ,etc so maybe they will have something in there notes that will help... good luck Jerry
Julia B.
on 3/20/05 3:27 pm - Puyallup, WA
Hi Ryan! I have Boeing Traditional and had no problems getting approved, but I had to keep calling them and making sure that my paperwork didn't get laid on someone's desk and forgotten. They are famous for needing more information, but taking their time about asking for it. My advice is to hound them until you get your answer. Have you called them? Are you sure that they have all your paper work? How is it that you are scheduled for surgery before being approved? You didn't mention anything about comorbidities (diabetes, hypertension, etc.), if my memory serves me right, you have to have at least 2 to qualify. Good luck! I hope that you get your approval soon. Julia
Ryan F.
on 3/21/05 11:27 am - Philadelphia, PA
hey, I am pretty sure if you are high than 40 BMI, you do not need to show co-morbidties, which I am about 56-57...but I do have Asthma. The surgeon who scheduled me to have the surgery thought that my company would have no problem with this surgery, so thats why I got a date. I was so happy too, I thought I didnt have to worry about getting approved...it was a tease. I'm not giving up, in 2 days I have to go get my gall bladder ultrasound and I think that is it for testing. I hope they really approve me soon, it would be the biggest load off my shoulders. This procedure will make any person go crazy with emotion, its horrible...a year ago I tried to have it and I just said screw it, I give up, well now I am not letting up. Thanks Ryan
Most Active