Anyone else from Spokane?

Barbara S.
on 3/16/05 8:22 am
Hi everyone , I'm moving to Spokane on Mar 29 from Lancaster, CA and am scheduled for lap band surgery with Dr. Kuri on Apr 18. I'd like to get to know some folks in the Spokane area who are also having/have had surgery. Even though my date is only a month away, it feels like forever. Having been overweight for most of my life, I keep imagining how things might be after the surgery. Barb
Gerriann A.
on 3/16/05 1:06 pm - Spokane, WA
Hi Barb You will be happy to know that there are quite a few people here including me who have had WLS here in Spokane. My Doctor offers a support group and it is wonderful. At least 30-50 in attendance each month. It is great for support! Congratulations on your date and your move. Hope to meet you when you get here! -Gerriann 10 months post-op 161 pounds gone forever! I am a supermodel now!
Barbara S.
on 3/17/05 2:04 am
Hi Gerriann I'm so pleased to hear that there are so many others who have had WLS in Spokane. I really look forward to getting involved in the support group and meeting some people. Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss Barb
Hippie Chick D.
on 3/17/05 7:40 am - Elk, WA
Hi, I have a long time to wait for my surgery. I have Medicare for my insurance and they require a 6 month nutrition program to go through and if I do and lose 5% of my body wieght then I will be approved. I am glad to have this time to learn all I can about WLS and what is expected of me. I will probably be having my surgery in September. If I can arrange it I will request September 14th for my date. It's my birthdate and I thought it would be the best gift I could give myself. I am north of Spokane and I am planning to attend the April Support Group Meeting at Deaconess. I also want to read all the successes here on this message board and ask questions. I have been overweight most of my life, since I was 10 and I am afraid to be a failure as I have been with every diet I ever went on. My Mom was big too so we dieted together. She finally lost her weight when she was about 75. I don't want to wait that long. She died at 86 of CHF and had high blood presure most of her life. I don't have either of those medical problems, thank goodness! I am scared of such a radical change. I hope I don't fail! Oops! I'm rambling. Welcome to the Spokane area. Debbie
Barbara S.
on 3/17/05 8:27 am
Hi Debra , Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! I can sure empathize with your concerns over failure. I have also been overweight for most of my life, and also (obviously) failed at every diet I've ever been on. I guess that's what brings all of us here. Hopefully, the surgery will provide us with the tool that we need to help us through the tough times. I've been to a few seminars about different WLSs and the statistics seem quite encouraging in that a fairly high percentage of people seem to lose a lot of weight and are able to keep a good portion of it off over the long term. I think it really helps to have the support of others who are going through the same things - and once again, stats say that those who join a group have more success than those who try to go it alone. I know that September must seem like a lifetime away but at least we know that we are going to have our surgeries. I really feel for people who are still going through the approval process, especially if they have been turned down one or more times. That has got to be so stressful. Try to surround yourself with people who have a positive outlook and who are supportive of you. Stay in touch and let me know how you are doing. Barb
Most Active