Washington Military WLS

Maggie M.
on 3/15/05 11:51 am - Puyallup, WA
I notice hardly anyone from the military goes on the military site so I'm hoping to catch a few here... I had my surgery at Fort lewis and I just got put on the waiting list for the Tummy tuck..The doc said the waiting list was a year wait. Does anyone know how that works and what if we were refered out can we pick a place to have it done. Do we have to wait for Madigan to do it... I know they want us to wait a year to maintain the weight...if anybody has any inof on this love to hear or anything else you might think of that I didn't ask.. Thank you Maggie
JustHat
on 3/15/05 12:00 pm - NM
I didn't even know that there was a military site. I am currently trying to get Tricare to pay for my plastic surgery. I know they do pay for it. But, since you had your surgery at Madigan, I don't know how hard it is to break from from them to get to the civilian world. Have you hit goal? If so, how long have you been there? Is a TT all you want/need? Did you know that if Madigan does your TT, all they will do is remove skin. But, if you break free to the civilan world, you can get fat removal and muscle tightening (sorry, don't know the correct terms). Either way, start building your case in case you can get approval to go on the outside. Good luck, Hat
jnmlbc99
on 3/15/05 10:50 pm - belfair, wa
I didn't know there was a military site either. I am only 7 months out (today) from surgery, so I haven;t started my PS route yet, but man do I want to. I have been doing alot fo civilain research on PS's who take tricare. We are Navy, hubby is stationed at Bremerton. I am gonna have my PCP put in a referall to Dr. Gavin Dry when the time comes. He takes tricare and comes with great referals. I may also seek out a few others that don't take it, cause I want a full tummy tuck not just the pannilectomy. I also need my boobs done and my thighs. I am gonna try my best to get them to cover the breast lift, but the thighs will be next to impossible I think. Thank goodness, hubby gets a good reenlistment bonus. Best wishes. maria
JustHat
on 3/15/05 11:17 pm - NM
How did you go about researching for a PS? I admit that I am not that great at websearches. I can come up with some pretty pages where the doctor tells the read how great he is, but I haven't found anything that gives too much information. I am more nervous about PS than I was about WLS. So, I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. Hat
jnmlbc99
on 3/16/05 1:18 am - belfair, wa
I first went to the tricare website, and found which PS's take tricare in the area, then I went to OH's PS page and looked for reviews there, and then went to the personal site of the Dr's. I will go for consults with a few before too when the time gets closer. If all else fails my sister works for a Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery Institute, so I can go there on her discount if I need to pay, just don't wanna have to go all the way to LA for it, but if we are talking thousands of dollars I will. I really want to get as much of this covered as possible thus I went to the tricare site first. I also email Dr. Dry's office to double check that fact, but am waiting for a reply. He is one of the few PS's in the area that specialize in WLS patients. There is a segment on Komo 4's website on him and his patients. I love researching stuff let me know if you want help. Maria
Rachael E.
on 3/17/05 6:56 am
Sorry to butt in, Dr. Jana Cole at the UW does Tricar and April Greenwalt had her surgery with her and she had some work done let me tell you....she really did great with Tricare. The only thing she had to pay for were her implants. I have started my journey with my PS and I haven't ran into any problems YET, YET I say because knowing Tricare there should be quite a few. HAT if I remember correctly Tricare has to pay for your airfare PS and all since it's "related" to your WLS....I know a gal who's hubby is out and they paid for all her PS too....I will try to get more info from her. Rachael
JustHat
on 3/17/05 12:00 pm - NM
Thank you for checking into it for me. I thought there was a glich in the OB site because I didn't recognize your picture. Then, of course, I had to go check out your webpage. It looks like you are doing really well. Congrats. Hat
Rachael E.
on 3/18/05 1:33 pm
OK so here's the poop....I am trying to get an appointment with Jana Cole at the UW and I have a list of questions to ask her- if you ladies or guys would like to add any questions to my list feel free. I think I am going to shoot for an appointment sometime within the next month or so....I am trying to get as toned up as possible before my appointment so she can see how serious I am about this all. I spoke with a gal at Triwest and she said she's definately on the list...that's good to know because sometimes they drop providers. On another note...my PCP has made sure to note some important key words when charting my visits...like rash due to excess skin....excess skin very bothersome during exercise...he said he has to make sure we chart all these words the right way or else they will delay it more and more. My PCP also said it may be to my benefit if I meet with the shrink who helped me get WLS and talk to him about how the excess skin affects my life, and the way I feel about it.....I guess if it lowers yourself esteem it helps big time on the approval. I haven't talked with my friend who had the PS after her hubbie was out of the service, but I will try to get a note out to her this week so I can share more info.....hope I am some help... Have a good one, Rachael
jnmlbc99
on 3/18/05 10:58 pm - belfair, wa
THanks for the info! I will look into her. My surgeon won't release me for PS till my one year point, but I could get the consults out of the way. That is intersting about the psych doctor, but mine was in MI, do you know of one that you could recommend? I know the mental part of surgery is really coming into play now that 120 pounds are gone, still have a 14 till my BMI of 25, but my surgeon thinks I will get alot smaller than that, so thats why he wants me to wait and I understand, but I want this skin gone, its driving me batty. Maria
jnmlbc99
on 3/18/05 3:47 am - belfair, wa
Rachel, Thank you for the info, I did not see that Dr's name on the list, I will have to look into it, I prefer lady dr's. I just think they relate better sometimes. I would love any info you could share with me, please and thank you. I think the more prepared you can be the better things will go. Maria ps, I hope I didn't come off like a know it all, that just what I know to search for, thanks again
Most Active