Please Help!

Sheri I.
on 3/13/05 5:05 am - Mukilteo, WA
I have been in the process of getting approved for the Lap-Band. I have had all sorts of tests and the only thing in the way seems to be the psych evaluation. The psychologist who administered my tests says he does not feel that the surgery is in my best interests. He is the psychologist the surgeon always uses so it is not that he is unfamiliar with the procedure. I would be only the second person he does not recomend for surgery! He said he was concerned about compliance with me, I have given up coffee and sodas and have been trying hard to diet. I am not good at dieting, if I was I wouldn't need the surgery! He wants to talk to my psychiatrist and counselor that I used to see (for depression, I still take medication but it is under control).I didn't use them because they are in Missouri, we just moved here last August. I gave him the information and signed the release form last Wednesday, I have not heard from him since. I am so worried that he will not approve me. I have never before believed that I could lose all this weight and to lose this new hope that I have had since learning about the surgery is devastating. I don't know what to do, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Sheri
dianaism
on 3/13/05 7:57 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi Sheri. I don't know if this is any help but I know that when I had my psych eval the lady was not impressed with my past efforts at weight loss either. But I emphasized the reasons I needed the surgery and the positive things I would do once I achieved the weight loss. My surgeon also seemed concerned at my pre-op visit and said that my psychiatrist (I'm biploar) also voiced some concern because I didn't do well in the past with dieting. Well, I think I showed them all that just because I didn't succeed at traditional dieting, doesn't mean I'm not going to succeed once I have a tool to help me. I have lost 66 pounds in less than 12 weeks and I'm feeling better than ever. I wish you well and hope everything works out for you. Love Diana
Sheri I.
on 3/13/05 9:38 am - Mukilteo, WA
Thanks Diana for your kind encouragement. I just got an e-mail from the surgeons office and they said not to worry about it that the psych eval is not the final say and they are confident that we are going forward!!! I am so relieved. It has been a hell of a weekend waiting and worrying. At least it looks like it will work out all right! I have a tentative surgery date of April 4th! Thanks again!
JustHat
on 3/13/05 2:14 pm - NM
I am glad that it looks like it will work out. I have read a lot of posts where the psych has dorked with someone. But, I have only read one time where the surgery was postponed because of it. In my own evaluation, he took some of what I said out of context. I was pissed. I really don't know why they require the eval. Well, I do and think it is important. But, it seems like the docs decide who they will cut on without much consideration to the eval. Good luck. Hat
Jerry W.
on 3/13/05 11:47 am - Mount Vernon, WA
I just want to say or give you my opinion having any of these surgeries done is a sign that we have reached our end of the rope..having had the surgery just 3 weeks ago I know how hard it can be...Even has hard as it has been I woud do it again I'm loosing weight like I never have before ....I know from talking to skrinks in the past before I even tried to have the surgery a few of them thought it was all in my head that I wasn't loosing weight but they never walked a mile in my shoes to know what my life was really about.. I just want to say I'll hope and pray that you get to have your Lap-Band done because once you start down this road you have a whole new world that is going to open up to you... Jerry
dianaism
on 3/13/05 1:57 pm - Tacoma, WA
Amen to that!
Sheri I.
on 3/14/05 4:04 am - Mukilteo, WA
Thanks everyone for the kinds replies. I feel so much better today. I hate to say that I have had enough experience with psych docs that I know some of them can be a little crazy themselves. I'm just glad I'm still on track for the surgery. I left the house today without my usual green tea so I stopped and bought a diet coke. I haven't had one in about a month. I didn't even like it anymore! Thanks again. You guys are great! Sheri
Most Active