Crushable medications

GTaylor842
on 3/2/05 3:35 am - Port Orchard, WA
Hello all, Another question that I have come up with... I am currently taking Toprol for my blood pressure and it's the only one that I currently take that can't (or isn't supposed to) be crushed. My PCP said to talk to my pharmacist about which other medications can be crushed. My problem is that I mail order my prescriptions to avoid a huge payment up front. So, I don't really have a pharmacist to talk to. What are you taking for hypertension that can be crushed? I would like to know so that I can talk with my PCP about my options. Thanks, Greg Taylor
findinglisa
on 3/2/05 5:19 am - Bothell, WA
When I had my surgery I was taking two BP meds - Atenolol and Lisinopril - and both of them crushed easily. The good news is, once you are on the losing side you hopefully won't have to take these meds for long. I am three months out, and I was able to stop taking my BP meds about a month ago. Good luck! Lisa
karen C.
on 3/2/05 6:18 am - Kennewick, WA
I take Diovan and it crushes easily.
GTaylor842
on 3/2/05 6:29 am - Port Orchard, WA
Great thanks... I will take these to my PCP and offer them as suggestions. Greg
Cori T.
on 3/2/05 7:29 am - Neah Bay, WA
I'm on Lisinopril for my BP and I cut them up, no problems post-op. Of course, since my surgery, my PCP has cut my dosage in half! Might never get to totally get off them though as I was born with only one kidney which can be a contributing factor to my hypertension.
Norma T.
on 3/5/05 9:57 am - Kent, WA
It's not a matter of whether or not a pill or tablet is easy to crush or cut up, that there are just some medications which cannot be crushed or cut up because if effects the way in which the medication is absorbed and/or utilized by the body. Norma, RN
Most Active