My hair is falling out so much! LAP-Band Patient

u951102
on 2/26/05 6:40 am - North of Seattle, WA
I had my surgery November 4th, 2004. I have lost 48 lbs but I am afraid to brush my hair to see so much of it in my brush. I know it is to be expected but how long until your hair loss slowed down? Yes, I am getting in the 90 grams of protein a day. Barb
JustHat
on 2/26/05 1:38 pm - NM
I bet you know what I am going to say before I actually say it. Everyone is different. I don't know exactly when my hair started to fall out. I was in denial for a while about it. I used to have really thick hair and lost a lot every day anyway. But, I can tell you that it stopped at about 6 months. It might have taken longer since I kept having scopes. My hair dresser ex-neighbor said that as long as I was having procedures done, it would keep falling out. My last scope was the beginning of Dec. BTW, FYI, I was not getting in nearly enough protein each day for the longest time. So, that was working against me too. There really isn't anything you can do to stop it. And, getting worked up over it isn't going to help at all and might make it worse because of the stress isn't good for you. Just try and focus on the big picture. It will grow back. And, it is one of the small prices we pay for better health. Hat
Gerriann A.
on 2/28/05 12:01 pm - Spokane, WA
Barb, I am 9.5 months out and just now my hair is starting to grow back in. I asked the Dr. and he said it is a side effect of the surgery and that it really does not matter how much protien you are eatting it is just some of us are luckier than others regarding the amount of hair we loose. So take heart it will grow back...what is a little (ok a lot) of hair to be within our healthy weight range? Congratulations on your 48 pound loss! -Gerriann 9.5 months post-op 161 pounds gone forever!
Shanna E.
on 2/28/05 11:32 pm - Vancouver, WA
I started losing hair w/in a few weeks after surgery. My hair was super thick pre-op and I probably lost about 60% of it. Around 7mo post op I noticed that it wasnt falling out very much anymore and tiny hairs starting to grow back in. I was getting in enough protien and vitamins, also taking Biotin and using Nioxin shampoo...didnt seem to matter what I tried, nothing helped, just time. Hang in there, you wont go bald, and it will grow back! Shanna
Most Active