So tell us...

ncarter11
on 2/11/05 12:41 am - Edmonds, WA
Which support group meetings were the most helpful and why? What topics, formats, discussions have benefitted you the most? What does your support group do that keeps you comming back? What would you change? That's a lot of questions, I guess. Thanks and hugs, Nancy
auntlorlee
on 2/11/05 2:14 am - Bellingham, WA
I just wish I was close enough to attend the support meetings. I am wayyyyy up north near Bellingham. We have a group here but they are mostly Duodenal Switch. I go on occasion but feel a little left out. Lori
KuuipoCloud
on 2/11/05 3:09 am - Oak Harbor, WA
Lori, we have one in Oak Harbor!! It's not as far away as the ones in Seattle!! Lemme know if you want more info and I can give it to ya!! (((HUGS))) Michelle
auntlorlee
on 2/11/05 3:52 am - Bellingham, WA
Hey Michelle, That would be great. My parents live in Mt Vernon. My mom had surgery last June. I will see if maybe her and I could come to one of the meetings sometime! Thanks! Lori
sassy
on 2/11/05 2:29 am - Kaiserslautern Military Community, Germany, XX
i attend the one at mamc every tuesday. we kinda do toss-ups, where if someone has a questions or topic, they ask it and then we move on to the next one, but we all put in our input and it helps to hear other peoples experiences. we have a psychologist that attends every meeting, and a nutritionist who attends once a month. i think the only thing better to our group is to have nutrition information at every meeting, instead of just once a month. sometimes i ask questions and nobody can give me an accurate answer, just a "get with the nutritionist" answer. thats really my only gripe....
catly
on 2/11/05 4:57 pm - Everett, WA
Hi, I visited a couple groups that went under. The one I have visited more than once is the Stevens support group in Everett, since it seems to be a good mix of pre-ops, post-ops, supportive family, and not all with one surgeon, as in some groups. however, I do not always make it because it is only once a month and with fibromyalgia my schedule gets too weird sometimes. Since my husband, who usually drives me there, is occasionally ill or extremely tired, this can influence whether I go or not. What I really would be happier with is belonging to a group of people who would do things together with me included at other times than the meetings. I know some people do this but I am never part of the social scene, so sometimes I feel left out. I would be interestedin a meeting that happens more often than once a month, too so that if I missed one meeting, I could make another. Since I do not drive, since I am blind, it is not practical for me to just drop in on various meetings. I am on several yahoo support groups but all of them seem to have too many people who do not read posts without reading their own stuff into them (usually negative) so I do not always feel totally welcome there either. I do tend to be one who says what she thinks, but it seems that this is not accepted well. Most of these online groups are also Christian-dominated, which is okay for some, but not for all. I'd feel better if more varying thinking types were equally allowed and encouraged and not bashed. I still spend too much time at home, though I love being with my cats, but at times I get lonesome for human contact, especially from those related to WLS. Thanks LM
ncarter11
on 2/15/05 2:06 am - Edmonds, WA
Lauren, I am sooo glad you posted. Your input is great. I go to the Steven's group too! I'll make sure to come over and introduce myself in March! We missed you this last time! If Jim can not drive you for one reason or another and you are up to going, do let me know. I'd be happy to come and get you. I have wanted to try other support groups -- Evergreen, I heard, is good. I haven't gone because it's so close to the Steven's meeting - separated by only a few days. There is also one at Group Health in Everett. I'm not sure it's closed to GH members or not. Do you know? Have you been to either of these? I feel bad, Lauren, that you are lonely. Loneliness is such a difficult thing to deal with. Are there activities or interests that you'd like to participate in that would give you more opportunity to interact with and meet new people? Exercise, crafts, classes at a community center? Perhaps we could go to a cafe with live music sometime. I have been going to water aerobics these last few months. Being that I work at home, my opportunities to meet new people are few. I have really enjoyed visiting and chatting with other women in the classes. (And get my exercise in while I'm at it!) I'd gladly come get you sometime to go with me! I look forward to hearing back from you. Email me anytime, k? Hugs, Nancy
ncarter11
on 2/15/05 2:35 am - Edmonds, WA
I figured that perhaps I should answer my own questions. I know this is a boring topic, but I appreciate your input! Which support group meetings were the most helpful and why? Most memorable discussion was on relationships with people as we lose weight/get healthy, how others respond and how we deal/change. Preop, discussions on hormones, anesthesia, ketosis, etc were very helpful! What topics, formats, discussions have benefited you the most? I really like the open discussion format. Topics that really touch on daily life with WLS - especially those about relationships - relationships with people and food. Also, discussions on the challenges of post op life. Discussions about long term post op issues. I prefer an open forum over a lecture type. If we have a guest lecturer, I prefer lectures from successful long term postops or those who provide support and services to postops. Information on vitamins, protein, resources, etc also really helpful. What does your support group do that keeps you coming back? Really, I go back for the people. I like seeing and catching up with my WLS friends. I like meeting new people and sharing in their excitement. I LOVE seeing the physical changes in everyone. I am also encouraged by those who are tears out. I want to learn to be successful LONGterm! What would you change? This question is the primary reason I posted this topic. I hesitate to post an answer. We have such a wonderful team of leaders at our group. I really hate to be discouraging or critical. It takes a lot of energy and work to host something like a support group. It really sucks to work hard and feel like you are not doing a good job. To the contrary, I think they do a GREAT job! They have really worked to add fun and interest to each meeting. Yet the discussion/content of the last few meetings has lacked some. I wonder if there isn't some hospital politics that are playing a role in that. I dunno. Anyway, thanks for reading/posting, y'all! I hope to hear a little more on the topic. Hugs, everyone, Nancy
catly
on 2/22/05 12:56 am - Everett, WA
Hi, Nancy, it would be cool to get together. I am terrible about exercising;maybe we could go to water aerobics together? I do not have your email address however. Mine is [email protected] thanks Lauren
Most Active