WHAT IS A CHEF TO DO?????

Joel D.
on 1/29/05 5:10 am - marysville, WA
I am wondering if I get the gastric bypass surgery how will it effect my job? I am a chef for a large hotel group and part of my job is to taste foods to make sure they are being prepared properly. I do not have to taste allot nothing more than a 1/2 teaspoon or so but I am concerned how this will effect my outcome as I will have to taste rich foods with lots of fat. I am most concerned about the sugar part though, how will I be able to taste sugar products and not have a violent reaction that I keep hearing about called dumping. Would it make more sense to have the banding done instead. My family doc says no way go for the bypass. I have my first appointment with the bariatric surgeon on Feb 1st, Doctor Lauter and am excited to hear about this process. I am concerned that I keep reading about these people who want to die because they have had this surgery. Luckily most of what I read about are the people who are now loving life because of the surgery. With the current medical conditions I currently have I cannot imagine my life much worse because of the surgery. I have a bmi of 52, I have sleep apnea, a irregular heartbeat, I need a hip replacement, I have joint and back pain. I would just like to hear from some people answers to my questions and some support telling me I am going in the right direction. Thank You.
KuuipoCloud
on 1/29/05 6:03 am - Oak Harbor, WA
Welcome, Joel! That's a difficult question! One I would definitely pose to my surgeon, but my first inclination would be is there anyone else that could do the tasting for you?? Michelle
skudoozie
on 1/29/05 6:12 am - Elk, WA
Boy, this sounds like a tough one, Joel. I have talked with many who, after surgery, have a very narrow tolerance for sugars. I have been fortunate to not have a problem with small amounts of almost any kind of foods even chocolate and other sweet things. With the little tastes you are talking about, I could probably do ok. HOWEVER, each person is so different, I don't think there are any guarantees. Under the cir****tances, this sounds like a bigger decision for you than it was for me. I have to say though, that even if I had had to reconstruct a new vocation for myself, I would choose the surgery. I love my profession yet, I would do something new if it meant my life. I am a musician yet I would find a new form of expressing myself if it meant my life...( I think.) Certainly having the surgery doesn't mean the end of food, but it does affect our ability to eat anything we did before, and it effects out taste and drive for food. Food doesn't taste like it did before. One good point, I have found myself more interested in food presentation now than before. Don't know if this helps or not. Good luck to you as you weigh (no pun intended) all your options. Suzie
Kimanne B
on 1/29/05 8:24 am - Near The Emerald City, wa
Hi Joel! You have some great concerns. I would definitely make a list to take to the surgeon's appointment with you. As for the tasting your job requires... I would think that the small amounts you have to taste would not cause you to dump... but everyone is different. And it would also depend on how often you have to taste. This is a tough one... Personally, I can tolerate a small amount of sugar without dumping.. but if I pu**** I sure will dump. As for going in the right direction, well.. . the decision to have this surgery is such a personal one... I wanted the RNY because I wanted the dumping syndrome ~ sort of reinforcement that I should not and COULD not eat stuff that is bad for me anymore. Whatever you decide, we will support you here! Keep us posted on you decision, we're rootin' for ya!! XoXo~ Kimanne
Kilaani
on 1/29/05 7:12 pm - Las Vegas, NV
You might look into the BPD-DS surgery. There are many less issues of dumping on sugar, and high fat doesn't absorb so that shouldn't be a problem. However, most folks strongly urge you to stay away from milk and sugar as that will affect rate of weight loss. For the BPD-DS surgery, check out www.duodenalswitch.com. It is usually recommended for folks with high BMI's (mine is 70). I'm having surgery March 10th! Good luck on your decision, Jill AGB 2/17/98 Dr. Heller, Sweden 440/lowest weight 270/regained to 435 BPD-DS surgery pending, Dr. Baltasar, Spain!
imagrama
on 1/30/05 3:51 pm - Gig Harbor, WA
First and foremost, Joel, check this out with your surgeon. He may have a suggestion. I do have a suggestion but don't know if it would work for tasting. Could you put that small taste in your mouth and chew it and get the taste and then SPIT IT OUT? Just don't swallow it? Would you be able to get the full taste of the food that way? Some post-ops will chew some food then spit it out, when they're in the liquid/pureed foods phase, just for that chewing becasue they miss it so. Good luck to you. Sue
Most Active