OT: Update on Couscous

KuuipoCloud
on 1/27/05 5:15 am - Oak Harbor, WA
I talked to my friend today and Couscous is doing about the same. He had a couple of episodes last night where he stopped breathing. They'd planned on taking out his intubation tube today but because of that last night, they aren't going to take it out. I tried encouraging her as much as I could, telling her that God knows that she was the one mom in the world that could handle this little boy. She's got medical training, so I told her that she knows how to handle whatever it is that he may have to go through. She said they might have to give him a trach tube, possibly a colostomy and/or a feeding tube in his stomach. Then she started crying (I am, too) and she said, "I just wi**** was me, Michelle. Why him? He's not done anything yet in his life, why did it have to be him?" I told her I didn't know, but God does. Then the guilt started. She said, "I checked everything out in the operating room before I had the surgery, why didn't I see it? Why this one day, this one hour, this one minute did he have to be born in this one room that had this problem? Why didn't I notice it wasn't right?" I told her there was no way in the world she can make herself the one to blame for this. (I've been in medicine, too) I told her, "You check out the sterility of the room, the proper nurses and staff are in the room, the instruments are right, that kind of stuff, you don't check to make sure the oxygen is hooked up right!" She said she just wishes he'd wake up. That he would just cry or something, anything. I asked her if they thought that he would wake up at some point and she said they didn't know. She said that they've never had this happen before so they're not really sure how to handle it. They're just treating it as brain damage at this point. I told her about everyone praying for her and she wanted me to send her extreme gratitute to everyone. She knows that's what's keeping her going. Just keep praying. Michelle
lilchickad
on 1/27/05 7:12 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi Michelle, Thank you for updating us on the baby. One thing that I know for certain, is that when a baby is intubated, they keep them very heavily sedated. My son was intubated for 9 days (the NICU blue a hole in his lung when they were giving him CPAP during the first 12 hours of his life)...I was VERY concerned because he was not "awake" at all. I know that this is a little different, as he had such a long time of oxygen depervation, but maybe...just maybe....he is not showing much sign of anything because of the sedation while being intubated. I will continue to pray for him daily...and for her and her husband. PLEASE PLEASE, keep us posted on this little one! Hugs! Laura
Most Active