dr. thrillby

chris T.
on 1/22/05 11:22 pm - everett, WA
Good Morning My daughter is scheduled to have open rny on thursday the 27th at virginia mason with dr thrillby. Our pre-op is tomorrow. I am pretty nervous about this procedure..major sugery etc. Shelby is 23..she has a page on here somewhere I think..She said something about getting an angel if anyone volunteered...though I don't know much about that either. I am praying for no complications though it seems that most people have at least some complications with this. Just call me the paranoid, scared, nerovus mom...I'm looking for support and maybe some ideas on what to expect from surgery and when she gets home and what she will be able to eat or do etc etc etc. Thanks, Chris
redtweter
on 1/23/05 3:24 am - Four Oaks, NC
HI there. Well, I think all mom (good ones at least) worry about this surgery and any other for that matter. My mother freaked. She just recently moved "home" with dad to North Carolina. So this was the first time she was not here to hold my hand thru something. So it is normal to be worried. Now as for the surgery. I just had my surgery done about 3 weeks ago now, done lap. though not open as your daughter will have. One thing I have heard every open patient say is take your own pillow. Not only for a little bit of comfort in the hospital but comfort for the ride home. I am not sure what Dr. Thirlby's rules are, but she will be on full liquid diet for awhile, probably a 1-4 wks. Stock up on things she will like.....lots of broth, jell-o, pudding, popsicles, and protein shakes. All sugar free also! She isn't going to be able to do much at all. She needs to heal and that needs to be here main objective. She should try and walk a few times a day. Walking is going to help her heal inside, keep her circulation moving to prevent clots and just getting up is good. She will need to eat every 2-3 hrs and drink all the time. The drinking is hard. You tummy is so tiny and all that food/liquid doens't fit. I make the joke that you basically have to eat and drink all the times your eyes are open!!!! The one thing I stress very important is protein shakes. Protein is going to keep you healthy and help you heal. It is important for life to do. I know that I am more then happy to help in anyway possible. Also, I am sure all the people on the board are the same way. There are some very supportive and great people here with different knowlege and experiences. Hope this helps some and take care, everything is going to be okay. Shelby and you will be in my daily prayers and thoughts. It is great she has a supportive mom to be there for her!!! ~Loretta
Kimanne B
on 1/23/05 5:55 am - Near The Emerald City, wa
Hi Chris! I can tell you first hand, Dr. Thirlby is one of the best in the business!! I had open RNY with Dr. Thirlby on Oct. 12th, 2004. Do a google search on his name, his credentials are phenominal! Have you asked Dr. Thirlby about his complication rate?? It is almost non-existent. In regards to having a competent surgeon, YES, she will be in great hands! Dr. Thirlby keeps you on a liquid diet for the first several weeks. She will be able to have stuff like SF popcicles, SF jello & pudding, protein shakes, broth & soups, etc... The nutrionist will visit her in the hospital before she leaves and give her a list of what she can have. Then she moves on to pureed foods for a few weeks, and then finally to soft/all foods for the final stage. After surgery, the Virginia Mason staff were very attentive to my needs. I was kept very comfortable and informed as to what was going on with me. She will be on a pain pump for a few days to ease with the pain. It's AWESOME! The first day after surgery she can expect to get ZERO rest The nurses and Drs. come in every hour to check your vitals ( rather be safe then sorry, and we can always rest later *lol*) Dr. Thirlby is head of the residency program at VM, so when he comes to visit, expect quite a few people (future Drs.) with him!! To find out more about Dr. Thirlby and VM, you can read my profile if you want~ and also you can look him up on this site as well I don't think your daughter could have picked a better surgeon. His qualifications, experience and success rate speak for themselves! What time is her surgery on the 27th?? I am so excited for your daughter! But as a mom, I know you are very nervous... thats normal! Just have faith ~ She will be just fine! This is a huge step in the beginning of a new life for your daughter I will keep her and you in my prayers! XoXo~ Kimanne
chris T.
on 1/23/05 8:42 am - everett, WA
thank you for the kind words and the support...Shelby is just as nervous as I am I think, though sometimes I swear I am the panicy one. We will find out tomorrow what time her surgery is on thursday, as we go in for all the pre=op stuff in the morning. I hope I have everything she needs for when she comes home..we went shopping this afternoon, chickenbroth, beef broth, sf jello and puddings and sf popsicles..and I cleaned out all the other food last week...I'll just eat when i'm at work so it will make it easier on her. This will be such a life changing thing for her...for the better! She so wants to have babies and have a life and the weight has kept her from doing everything she enjoys and having friends. I will write tomorrow after work to let you know what time her surgery is. I talked to her about this website and she said she has a profile here though she hasnt written much. She is also on www.livejournal her nickname there is sunflwer and I know she posts on there a bit too. Again, thanks for the advice and kind words. Nice to know there is somewhere to turn to in this time of anxiety. *hugs* Chris
marcie158
on 1/24/05 3:50 am - tacoma, wa
hi you sweet momma!!!! i had surgery with dr thirlby on 6.15, it truely has been the best thing i ever did for myself!!!!!! now, the angel, if your daughter would like me to be her angel, i would be more than happy to, have her read my profile and see if she feels like she could connect with me!!!! good luck, and you are both in my prayers!!!!! marcie 386/250/160
chris T.
on 1/24/05 4:59 am - everett, WA
WOW Thank you so much!...Shelby is reading your profile as I type...haha...we had pre-op this morning and everything is a go. Everything checks out good and of course they dont expect complications. WHEW!!! Her surgery is between 10 and 11 but we wont get the exact time until wednesday afternoon. A busy day here..I have to run out to work...Thank you again for being her angel...and mine in a little sort a way...Can't wait to meet you! Chris
Most Active