WISH Center medical clearance note question

GTaylor842
on 1/20/05 1:36 am - Port Orchard, WA
Hello all, I finally had my first appointment with the WISH center Tuesday morning now that my new insurance had finally kicked in. Everything went well and I was very comfortable with everyone I met. I did get to go home with quite the large pile of information, papers, diet logs, samples, etc... though. As I was going through the master list of goals I noticed that Dr. Alperovich needs to have a clearance letter from my primary physician clearing me for this surgery. The one time I talked with my primary physician, he didn't seem very knowledgeable about this type of surgery and the requirements that I would need. For that reason, I would like to have an example of a clearance letter that perhaps you've seen or used so that I can give it to him? Anyone able to help me out here? Thanks so much, Greg Taylor
lilchickad
on 1/20/05 2:49 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi Greg, What they actually need is standard for any surgery that you have. You will need to go into your doc, they do a pre-surgery physical (it is standard for all surgeries). They check your heart, lungs, reflexes, etc...Then they just write a short letter saying you are cleared for surgery based on their exam. Your doc will know what they need. Like I said, it is not specific for weight loss surgery, it is for any surgery that one would have done! I hope this helps! Laura
Brandy C.
on 1/20/05 2:53 am - Richland, WA
Greg, Have you looked into Dr. Heap in Richland (Tri-Cities)? He is doing a Mini Switch that has been super successful and the whole procedure cost under $15k ( thats including hospital stay) Although he's not a preferred provider they will work to get your approval and bill the insurance. Look into him, he doesn't require any sort of clearance. Just a consult and a pre op..And he is really easy to get onto see. Give him a call 509-943-8535. Mon. thru Thurs. 9-5 Brandy
Kimanne B
on 1/20/05 4:54 am - Near The Emerald City, wa
Advertising on the boards? Isn't that against the rules? I read your profile and you work for Dr Heap........ interesting... do you get a commission? I'd worry about a Dr. that does surgery for so cheap Since you are in the medical field, you should have answered Greg's question, not try and change his mind about his Dr. Shame on you!
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/05 5:02 am - Yakima, WA
I agree 100% - not to mention I sure wouldn't recommend...well anyway lol
Kimanne B
on 1/20/05 5:12 am - Near The Emerald City, wa
Hiiiiiiiii ((hugs!)) Tooter!! I was just loggin off when I saw your post! So good to see you! I'm on my way out the door but wanted to say hello As for the above post... I just had to put in my .02! I just think she has a different agenda rather then using this as a support site. Have a great day Toots! Love ya, Kimanne
vi
on 1/20/05 5:17 am - CA
Ummm Brandy, I would be scared to death of "cheap" doctor, I equate cheap, with well...cheap. As far as not needing a clearance, that is just downright dangerous. What does it say about a doctor who would perform a major surgery without a persons PCP acting as the "quarterback"? I think your post is actionable (legally).
Kimanne B
on 1/20/05 4:50 am - Near The Emerald City, wa
Greg, I just wanted to reply to the person regarding the mini-switch... Do your homework on that one.. I've heard that many Drs won't do the mini switch, so you'd have to ask yourself "WHY" don't they do it...... when I researched my surgery, I read nothing but negative information about the mini. The WISH Center is a great place, I've known people that have had their surgery there and love it and were treated great Good luck with the letter! XoXo!~ Kimanne
GTaylor842
on 1/20/05 5:52 am - Port Orchard, WA
Cool, that helps to know what it is they are looking for. I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a formal letter type thing, or a simple evaluation of my physical health and ability to undergo this type of surgery. Thanks for the feedback. By the way... Was anyone alse a bit shocked by the $1950 fee for lifetime care that isn't covered by the insurance? Since my wife and I will both be going through the WISH center, it seems a bit much to pay nearly $4K for the two of us. Perhaps I'll ask if there is a family discount or if we can use the referral bonus of $500 to apply towards that fee. Thanks again, Greg
lilchickad
on 1/20/05 6:04 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Greg, I too was going to have my surgery through the Wish Center, and switched doctors half way through. My surgeon was a provider for my insurance company, so that made my life a lot easier with the whole money issue. Now, as far as the 2000.00 lifetime membership fee, I hate that, but that is what they do, and they have the right to do that. My after care is "free" through my doctor's office patient advocate. If the 4000.00 is going to be a big financial hardship for you, speak with the corporate office for the Wish Center. They were willing to work out a payment plan with me, just to keep me there. So, they tell you that it has to be all up front, but the reality of it is, they were willing to take payments from me. It is still a lot of money, but easier to swallow if you can break it down into payments. Hope this helps! Laura
Most Active