Intubated.... awake! Yikes!

Tammy _.
on 1/15/05 11:40 am - Puyallup, WA
When I talked with the anesthesiologist last week, she said that I should be awake when they intubate me before the surgery because of my reflux problem. I will also have the tube removed AFTER I wake up from surgery. Anyone else have to do this? Is it as bad as it sounds? She said that the residents will be excited to do this because they don't get the opportunity very often. Trying not to get too paranoid, but it just does not sound like fun to me. I guess in the realm of things, it could be a lot worse. I don't want to take the chance of aspirating acid into my lungs during surgery and then getting pneumonia. I would appreciate all of your prayers! Thanks so much for all that you do, my OH family. Tammy
Julia B.
on 1/15/05 12:16 pm - Puyallup, WA
Hi Tammy! Yikes is right, but having to be awake while intubated does sound much better than aspirating acid into your lungs and getting pneumonia. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a safe surgery and a speedy recovery. Julia
Tammy _.
on 1/15/05 2:11 pm - Puyallup, WA
Thanks Julia for the well wishes. I appreciate your prayers so much. I am sure God will help me through this. Tammy
Debadoh
on 1/15/05 11:26 pm - Sumner, WA
I work in anesthesia and actually had the pleasure of being extubated awake just last week! "awake" in this sense is sedated to the gills. Awake to the MD's has to to do with level of rousability and such. Ability to protect your airway yada yada yada. You're more than likely not going to remember anything of being intubated and perhaps a teeny feeling of something in your mouth when you're extubated. When I had my respiratory arrest thingy I remembered feeling the tube coming out of the back of my mouth and thinking, "damn, I know I've already done this once today". Could I have said my ABC's right then? uh uh. I was too far gone. It's just a twilight sort of thing. No worries! Deb
Tammy _.
on 1/16/05 1:21 am - Puyallup, WA
Deb, thanks for the info. It sounds like being sedated will make me not really care (and maybe not even remember) the entire intubation thing. I am glad that you are home and doing well, Deb. Keep us posted on your progress. Tammy
Most Active