Interesting Observation and concern...

KuuipoCloud
on 1/13/05 3:11 pm - Oak Harbor, WA
A few days ago I requested my medical records from my OB/GYN when I had my children (keep in mind my youngest is 7) and I got the records today. I was looking over them reminiscing over everything and of course, my looking went to the weights. My daughter was born 5/93 and over the course of my pregnancy with her, I went from 290 to a weight of 284 a week before she was born. Yep, I lost weight - the nighest weight was my first office visit. Every visit I was somewhere between 282 and 289. During my 7th month of pregnancy I discovered I had gall stones and was put on an extremely low fat diet. I did not eat anything with more than 5 grams of fat in it and ate very sparingly because as anyone who's had gall stones knows, it is HELL when you get an attack. I lived basically on cherry slushies and licorice. At my 6 week check-up, I weighed 240. The lowest I'd been since I was 19 (I had my daughter at 24 years old). I had my gall bladder taken out when my daughter was 7 weeks old (so one week after I weighed in at 240) and within about 4-5 months after my gall bladder, I was back up to over 300 pounds. I remember an old man at my church telling me when I was 240, "Honey, don't put that weight back on, you look so good right now." And I did - I was wearing a size 22 jeans (that I still have, by the way!! All the way back from 1993!!) but within months I put the weight back on! Looking at the birth records from my son - at my first visit I weighed 311 and 9 days before he was born I was 315. Throughout all my visits I was between 308 and 316. After I had him I was down around 280 or so. Again, I thought "I'm NEVER getting over 300 again!" Well, within weeks of his birth I was around 320. Higher than when I was pregnant!! Now, my concern. I KNEW that I had to watch what I ate during all these times but I didn't. I know after I have this surgery I'm going to have to watch what I eat - what if I don't? What if I get to my goal weight and put it all back on? I mean, if I've never been able to control it before, what's to say that I can do it after the surgery? I've been smaller before, why will this time be any different? I know at least some of you have had this concern, so I feel very comfortable sharing this with all of you and asking for your input. I guess my question is, is it easy to put the weight on after surgery? Or more specifically, is it easier to eat right and do the right things after surgery? What makes it so much easier than now? A friend of mine who's had this said that having WLS is like giving genetics the finger, LOL! Is it really 'nearly impossible' to eat poorly after surgery?? Thank you all - you've all been so great to me during this. On a more highlight, positive note - I go to my surgeon for the initial consult on Monday!!! Just 4 more days!!! God bless~ Michelle
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/05 6:17 pm - Yakima, WA
Hi! I can relate to what you're going thru mentally with this process. It seems pretty unreal that suddenly you may not want certain foods or that when you eat them that they 'may' make you sick - or that you can REALLY get full on only 2 or 3 tablespoons of food. So let me tell you MY experience. I was a gorger preop. Sure, I knew I was eating the wrong foods in too large of a quantity and like you, I knew what I should have been doing...but didn't. This surgery changed me. Not sure why or how, but it did. I don't dump on sugar, but on the other hand it doesn't give me that feel-good high it did preop and makes me feel a bit icky if I eat too much (more than a couple of cookies or a small 2 inch piece of birthday cake, for example). It did, for me, make it easier to WANT to foods that now make me feel good - and that's healthier foods. Made it easier to make good choices since it takes so little to fill me up - I was afraid to waste too much space on crap foods - not that I never treat myself to a goodie now and again. This is from my website: Some people have asked why they couldn't just eat 1000 calories a day preop and lose the weight. Well, to be honest, you can. Lord knows I've done it often enough. The problems arise when you (or I) get HUNGRY! It's hard to maintain a 1000 calories a day when you've got a big stomach that is demanding to be filled, a hormone producing even more hunger (this hormone is frequently eliminated or reduced drastically in postop bypass patients), and a world of food and cravings around you. Not to leave unmentioned that preop, you absorbed 100% of every calorie, fat and carb that hits your mouth! Postop bypass surgery you are at least malabsorbing some of these calories, though I've been told to count them all because no one is certain just how much or how little each person absorbs. Postop, you'll likely find there are a lot of foods you no longer can tolerate and they become less desirable...donuts, bread, pasta, etc. More on that in a different column. Hope this helps some! Hugs, Toots
KuuipoCloud
on 1/14/05 7:34 am - Oak Harbor, WA
That makes perfect sense to me, Toots. I think the fact that afterwards I will KNOW that 2-3 tbsp of food will fill me up whether or not my brain feels like it or not. The people that I know who've had this surgery have said that there are certain things that they cannot eat anymore. One friend of mine said he can't eat pork anymore which is strange. His brother-in-law who's had it done can eat pasta, but my friend can't whereas his brother-in-law can't eat rice, but my friend can. Strange how it affects everyone differently. Take care~ Michelle
JustHat
on 1/14/05 1:36 pm - NM
"afterwards I will KNOW that 2-3 tbsp of food will fill me up" And, if you forget, your will get a reminder. Before my surgery, I ate a ton of pizza. It was one of my favorite foods. After surgery, I wanted it really bad. But, now I don't care for it at all. It doesn't even sound good. The are other things like that as well. What I still really want is to lick the cream out of a donut. But, the fear of getting sick or, even more, not getting sick keeps me from it. I lost weight during my first and last pregnancies. I was sick for most of my first and all of my second. So, this surgery was a little like that. And, with both, I knew I could eventually eat solid foods again. But, the difference is that with the pregnancy, I knew the exact date (well month) I could eat junk again and looked forward to it. Now with the surgery, I know that some day I will probably be able to eat junk again. But, I am not looking forward to it. And, the longer I can't, the better. I have had months to change my mind set. Instead of just waiting it out, I have been changing my habits and the way I think about food. Also, I have been enjoying a thinner body. That wasn't something I could do with a pregnancy. What I think it comes down to is how much you want this. I have seen women have the surgery, eat around it and then complain that it isn't working. Sure, everyone is different. And, some people have an easier time eatting around it. But, now I understand what people mean when they say it is a tool that you have to work with. You strike me as someone that really wants this. So, as long as you stay focused on your goals, I am sure you will do fine in your retraining. Hat
KuuipoCloud
on 1/14/05 3:13 pm - Oak Harbor, WA
I DO I DO I DO want this!!! Ya know, pizza is an okay thing for me - I enjoy it but it's not like I crave it a lot. My biggest 'weakness' I suppose is fast foods. I do fine if I don't eat it, but once I do, it's over - I'll eat it 1-2 times a day for a week and not just Happy meals either. Mass quantities. They're my biggest problem. I like baked goods, too. That's probably my 2nd biggest problem. Like cake, cookies, etc. Donuts aren't a biggie, though. I do have to say, I was reading your post to my husband (I read him helpful replies to the messages I post so that he's informed, too!) and he was quite intrigued with your 'licking the cream out of a donut' comment, LOL! Okay, migraine medicine talking again, Michelle
JustHat
on 1/14/05 3:24 pm - NM
"and he was quite intrigued with your 'licking the cream out of a donut' comment" Men, so predictable. LOL My fantasy including donuts is much more than just licking. But, I figured I would leave that out just in case... (Well, now that I reread that last sentence, I need to clear it up. It involves more than licking, but not sex. Still, I swear if I could, it would be just as good as sex.) BTW, I busted out laughing when I read your message. I don't have any migraine meds, but the vodka seems to be working just fine. Hat
Most Active