Water guzzlers Unite!!! If you drink a lot of H2O..read here

Juliaaaa
on 1/9/05 9:09 am - puyallup, WA
OK, Call me crazy... but the thing that worries me the most is the fact that I drink a lot of water. 2-3 liters a day. And now.. I'm going to have to sip for the rest of my life. I have found the answer! I have started using a "sippy" cup. But not just ANY sippy cup.. but one that is called "Nuby" sippy cups. (they can be found on Ebay) The cup was originally made for toddlers transitioning from bottles to cup. The spout has a valve in it that prevents the liquid from spilling out. That same valve.. limits the amount of liquid that you can take in at a time. This has been intramental in teaching me to sip instead of gulp. I now have a ton of these cups (thank goodnes they come in bright neon colors without any baby charactors on the side...lol) I can keep them preloaded with protein powders and just add water and Volia!!! I have my "food" wherever I go! Pass the word! Julia
KuuipoCloud
on 1/9/05 11:49 am - Oak Harbor, WA
Thanks for the info Julia! I am a HUGE water drinker. That is actually my biggest concern about when I have my surgery. I drink about 32 oz before I even eat breakfast and drink at least 64 oz with my lunch and dinner and always have a 64 oz cup with me wherever I go and yes, I gulp water. I will chug 16-32 oz at a shot especially if Im really thirsty. Again, THANX!! Michelle
imagrama
on 1/9/05 12:42 pm - Gig Harbor, WA
I've got a question for anyone that knows........these toddler sippy cups........when drinking from them, do you get a lot of air like drinking from a straw? I've wondered if these would be ok but haven't dared drink from them. Sue
JustHat
on 1/9/05 1:57 pm - NM
I like the idea of keeping them loaded with protein powder. Not being able to gulp large amounts of water was one the things that bothered me the most about life after surgery. And, then days after surgery, I really missed water. I missed Diet Coke too, bu****er even more. I hated sipping all of the time. But, I learned how much I could put in my mouth at a time without over doing it. Now it is second nature for me. I just wanted to jump in here and let you about to be post ops know that there is hope to being able to drink almost normal again. The bottles I drink out of now hold 33.8 oz of water. I drink 5 or 6 of them a day. I down one full one right before bed every night. As long as I don't take too big of drinks, I can get it down in 15 minutes. It really is amazing tha****er goes in and through that fast. Oh and someone mentioned straws. I actually get less air from straws than I used to from just drinking from a cup. I read something on straws on the main message board last week. About half said they prefered straws. I would suggest trying it slowly and seeing how it works for you. Hat
Julia B.
on 1/9/05 4:32 pm - Puyallup, WA
In the very beginning I had to sip my water, but it wasn't long before I was pretty much drinking normal again. I'm not a gulper but I do drink my water pretty fast at times. I drink at least four 16oz bottles of water a day, 4 protein shakes a day, and usually some decaf tea or crystal light. I also use a straw to drink all of my protein shakes because it helps me get past the foam on top from the blender. I've never had a problem with straws. I think I'd go crazy if I had to use a sippy cup. Julia
Cori T.
on 1/9/05 11:53 pm - Neah Bay, WA
drinking water post surgery was one of the hardest things for me. I was used to guzzling down a full glass of water at a time (we get home water delivery). Now at almost 5 months out I can drink it much faster, just not a total guzzling down.
Kimanne B
on 1/10/05 12:13 am - Near The Emerald City, wa
They have "Nuby" sippy cups, the exact ones you describe at the Milton Dollar Tree for $1.00 each.
Juliaaaa
on 1/10/05 12:39 am - puyallup, WA
Thanks KimAnne! I appreciate that information! I know they are not for everyone.. but these have really helped me, I love them! At work it was funny... because at first they were a curiosity.... then people kinda laughed.. then they asked where *they* could get them! ... I ended up giving one away Besides they are small enough to put in your purse preloaded with protein powder.. and I love the convenience! I am going to try to never go back to guzzeling. I'm trying desperately to "think small" Julia
ncarter11
on 1/10/05 12:40 am - Edmonds, WA
I am not yet 4 months out and I can drink water at a "normal" rate. I can gulp but not guzzle Cheers! Nancy
Chrissy P.
on 1/10/05 4:01 am - Federal Way, WA
My whole water experience post-surgery has been very weird. Like you, prior to surgery, I was big-time into water. Seemed like I was always thirsty. I always drank the requisite 8 glasses per day, and then some. I always ordered the largest Diet Coke and Venti lattes. Those things are of the past now. Once I had surgery and was recovering, I found it very difficult to drink water. It was like that "virtue" that I had prior to surgery completely disappeared. I was not expecting that at all. It seemed that I either got enough to eat in a day or enough water in a day, never both at the same time. I would take a few sips of water, and it would hurt. I could never gulp. Now that I am 3 months out, I am doing a little better, but I am not up to par. I find it pretty easy to take several gulps at once. But what is difficult is that my desire to drink anything is gone. I hope I get it back! Right after surgery, you won't want to gulp anything. It will take a while for that to be comfortable, so you [robably won't feel deprived because of it. Good luck on your surgery. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you. -Chris
Most Active