Hi Everyone!!!!!

KuuipoCloud
on 1/8/05 2:27 pm - Oak Harbor, WA
I'm Michelle Cloud and I'm a Navy wife stationed up in Oak Harbor, stay-at-home homeschooling mom of two beautiful children, and an online college student. I've been approved for a consult with Dr. Oelschlager at UW and am just getting my stuff in order to see him (med. records, etc.). The nurse at his office said it would be about 3 months for the appointment and would call me when the time got closer. My only concern is that she told me that since I don't have any co-morbidities (only that Im 5'8" and weigh 335) my insurance may deny me (Tricare Prime) because so many people are requesting the surgery now that many insurance co's are becoming more strict on who they accept. I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure (it is borderline), no arthritis, I may have sleep apnea, but all in all for a person who's more than double their ideal weight, I'm pretty healthy. Being 200% over your ideal body weight is another of their qualifications, though so that's something. Are there any support groups up this way in Oak Harbor or Anacortes or Coupeville?? Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself to everyone and I am so thrilled to be here. If I could I'd have the surgery tomorrow!! God Bless~ Michelle
JustHat
on 1/8/05 3:27 pm - NM
Hi Michelle and welcome to the group. I just read your profile. It is good to hear that there are finally some other doctors accepting TriWest. When I started the process, there was only one. Options are good. I did call the Northwest Weight Loss Surgery clinic. The lady on the phone wanted me to come to the orientation. But, she couldn't tell me if there was anyone there that would accept Tricare. Plus, she said there was a 6 month waiting period. I questioned that and she said it was better than the 2 year waiting list at the UW and that UW was my only other choice. I got a used car feeling from her. I made an appointment for their orientation and then canceled it the next week. Since I had my surgery, they have called me twice to see if I wanted to come in. I guess they had an opening. The second time was two weeks ago. Both times I had told them that I already had surgery. Anyway, I am glad you found a doc you like. And, welcome to the group. Hat
KuuipoCloud
on 1/9/05 2:09 am - Oak Harbor, WA
Hi Hat! There are a couple of docs up this way that take TriWest. Dr. Billings does at Puget Sound Surg. Clinic, Drs. Neal and Ogle do, they do Lap Band. My doc is at UW and does lap RNY, that's why I chose him. I have a call into Dr. Billings though to see how long their wait is for the procedure. If I can get in sooner then I will. My only concern is that he's new to this area, but his staff has told me that he was in practice for years in MN. His website is impressive (www.wimis.com) and he has very few testimonies here. But, I would be willing to talk with him and see what I think.
JustHat
on 1/8/05 6:43 pm - NM
Michelle, there were two other things I wanted to say. If you are 200% of your ideal weight, they don't have grounds to deny you. Also, check your height. Being overweight makes the disks in our backs compress. You may find that your not actually as tall as you thought you were. I lost a whole inch since high school. I found this out by accident and was really pissed about it. I always wanted to be 5'10". I started adulthood at 5'7". Now I am down to 5'6". Grrr.
lilchickad
on 1/9/05 1:03 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Quit your braggin Hat, I'm lucky if I'm 5'0". LOL Hence why 203 didn't look so great :P
KuuipoCloud
on 1/9/05 2:10 am - Oak Harbor, WA
LOL! I've always either measured at 5'8" or 5'9" depending on when and how I'm measured. I will have it checked next time I go in, though! I go to my PCP on Tuesday and am basically going to ask him to FIND something wrong with me, LOL! No, I think I have sleep apnea so I'm going to discuss that with him and some upper abd discomfort that I've been having. I have no gall bladder so it's not that!
ncarter11
on 1/9/05 2:26 am - Edmonds, WA
Hello & Welcome!! So glad you introduded yourself, Michelle! I homeschool two of my kids (12 & 16)too - just for this last two years. I was also approved for WLS by Tricare Prime primarily on my status of being 200% of ideal weight - that is the policy and it has not changed - Hat is right they can not deny you if you meet the criteria. My comorbidities were not much to sway them in favor of surgery (vericose veins and hypothyroidism and my father's health.) Let us know how you progress toward approval! Keep trusting God. Nancy
KuuipoCloud
on 1/9/05 6:42 am - Oak Harbor, WA
I am trusting God!!! I just keep praying and praying! What does Tricare consider 200%, is that double your ideal weight? Because according to 'the charts' I'm supposed to be between 145 and 165 and I'm just over 330 now.
ncarter11
on 1/9/05 6:54 am - Edmonds, WA
Yep, 200% is 2x your ideal weight so you are fine in that regards. It's sick, huh - to hope that you are heavy enough, or worse, sick enough?! Totally oposite than what we usually feel. Glad to meet you! Nancy
KuuipoCloud
on 1/9/05 7:05 am - Oak Harbor, WA
I had to LOL when I read this because I said the same thing! I'm like, "Well, I'm awfully close to that 2x my weight so I can't lose any weight between now and the time I go see my surgeon!!" or "I hope when I go to my PCP this week he finds something wrong with me!" Is that sick or what?! ROFL! So glad to meet you, too!! Michelle
Most Active