Anyone here had the LB in Mexico?

sharon M.
on 1/5/05 12:27 am - everett, WA
Hello everyone! I checked in here back in summer 04, back when I had hope to get insurance coverage. Once I lost that hope, I gave up on everything until people started talking about having the surgery done in Mexico. Ok, I'm asking everyone who has had it done down there, what was it like? I am leaning towards seeing DR Kuri, because he seems to be the one that has the combo of being good and most affordable. (Doesn't seem to make much sence to save a few $$ when they hold your life in their Hands!) I will probably be scheduling surgery for either Feb or March at this point. (Waiting for financing to go thru). I can honestly say, that because I have had to wait so long, I am feeling more nervous about going to Mexico than Ever! I am worried about having to fly so far after a surgery. (Lets not even talk about what a mess getting thru the airports can be!) Scared that if there is a problem, how hard it might be to get back. Heck, I am even worried about crossing the border, esp without a passport. So, any of you wise bandsters who have taken this road, care to offer some words of comfort? I really only hear mostly good things about people who have had surgery in Mexico, but I guess I just need to hear it more! Thank you All! Sharon (bander to be)
Lena Kay
on 1/5/05 12:59 pm - WA
Hi Sharon, I just got banded in Tijuana last week, and everything went fine. I'll be glad to e-mail you the details. Thought I should mention that Dr. Kyun Oh in Federal Way is planning to offer lap band surgery for $12,000. at a local hospital. If that's in your price range, you might find it a more reassuring option. Leanna
sharon M.
on 1/6/05 12:12 am - everett, WA
Thanks Leanna, Please, Email me all the details, including anything negative as well. I am so worried of all the "what ifs", and it is really making me crazy. To be honest, I WOULD rather be done closer to home but the cost is the problem. I haven't found anyone in the states that can come close to the cost of the Mex DRs and they even throw in the fills free. (I am sure, overhead and insurance costs are the reason for this, but hey, I need to keep as MUCH $$ in MY pocket as I can). Thanks for the heads up regarding DR Kyun Oh as well. I will check into it, even though it is still about $3000 more than I have available. But looking forward to hearing about your experience down there. Who was your DR? When do you go back for a fill? (Maybe if its close to when I go, I can tag along with ya!) Thanks again, Sharon (Everett bandster to be)
Most Active