BPD-DS surgery.. what do you all know about it?

Kilaani
on 1/4/05 1:28 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hi, I'm Jill, I had a AGB 2/17/98 started at 440 and got down to 270 after about 6 months or so, but at 9 months, I stopped losing - my band had a leak. I've regained over the last 7 years, now I'm up to 435. I'm looking into getting a distal rny- but, I also have heard about the Duodenal Switch thing and wondered what folks around here know about it.
slugworth
on 1/4/05 2:45 pm - Stanwood, WA
What is an AGB? I am having the band done at the end of this month myself. Did they fix the leakage?
auntlorlee
on 1/5/05 12:29 am - Bellingham, WA
My uncle started out at 519 and had the DS done. He has lost 330 lbs since February 2003. He is very happy with it. My mom also had it done in June 2004 and has lost 90 lbs. The thing with this surgery is that you don't have to worry about dumping. But the malabsorption is different. You really have to be careful because you absorb less than with the RNY. You have to make sure you take your vitamins faithfully. If I could have this surgery I would. But unfortunately, my insurance doesn't pay for the DS, only RNY. Hope this helps! Also, you can visit the DS forum on here. They will be of more help. Lori
Most Active