just how dumb am I?

JustHat
on 1/3/05 5:28 pm - NM
I posted the other day about getting chills when I throw up. Someone said that it sounded like I was dumping. I really didn't think that throwing up was a part of dumping. Don't know how I missed that one. I have been faithfully avoiding sugar. But, I have been sick a lot. Tonight a friend called and asked if we wanted to have mexican food. I love mexican food and can eat some things at our normal place. But, Taco Bell makes me puke rather quickly. He wanted to try this new (to us) place that is similar to our normal place. I didn't over eat. But, I puked twice at the restaurant. Then, I puked all the way home. For more fun, I puked some more at home. Each round was filled with some really bad chills. I should have known better than to eat anything there because the meat wasn't pure ground beef. And, the bite of my son's taco was so grease covered. (I had to try it because he thought he tasted peanuts and my other son is deathly allergic to them.) He wouldn't let his little brother eat until I had asked the staff about peanuts and tasted it myself. OK so when I got home, I was so tired. I laid down on the floor to give my dog some much needed love. I passed out for an hour. I only woke up because my arms were numb. I wonder if in addition to puking because of my strictures, I have been puking because of dumping. Today's meals were a total of 2 1/2 chunks of jerky and one protein shake worth 15 g of protein. Comments? Hat
ncarter11
on 1/4/05 1:06 am - Edmonds, WA
Somehow it just feels wrong that I laughed while reading about your last puke-fest. It was the "for more fun..." that I chuckled. Despite, the giggles (which was clearly a result of your writing prowess and not your experience) I really feel bad that you have had such an issue with hurling! I think your friend hit on something, Hat. The chills and the sleepiness seem to me to be right in line with dumping. I do not dump, in the traditional sense, but recently I have had a few experiences that I know were a form of it - excessive sleepiness after eating sugar and ... the other day after I worked out I ate my lunch (very typical -- coleslaw and an oz of cheddar) and just after I finished about 1/2, the toilet and I went quite a few rounds! I swear afterwards my bowels were completely empty! (I am so irregular these days that this came as a marvelous relief, tho!) Anyhow, I was a bit shakey, tired and generally felt like crap for an hour or so. I think I dumped - for real, for the first time. Why now?? Why on proven foods?? I'm not real sure... I wondered if the eating right after exercise is what did it. Hm. Enough about me and my bowels! You eat so little, Hat. What's your average daily colories? Protien? Do you throw up daily? I throw up only 1-2 times a week any more. Meats (except for a little fish and ground beef), eating too fast, swallowing large pills, and eating too much are the usualy causes for me. There was a time when I wondered about having a stricture, but I feel alright now. I'm anxious to read with others have to say! Nan
Cori T.
on 1/4/05 8:04 am - Neah Bay, WA
Gosh, I guess I'm lucky (or maybe not?!) that I've only thrown up post-surgery once, it was when I ate a slice of fake melted cheese that I swiped off my son's hamburger. It was an awful foamy frothy throw up (sorry for the graphic folks!) I've never dumped, unless my body does do something that I don't see as dumping?
Gerriann A.
on 1/4/05 10:48 am - Spokane, WA
Sound like you need to have a conversation with your doctor, his nurse, or the nutricionist. Does this happen when you eat certain things? Are you overeating? Are you drinking and eating at the same time? Sometimes that will cause some grief. Talk to your doctor! Hope that you figure out what it is soon! -Gerriann 153+ pounds gone forever!
JustHat
on 1/4/05 5:32 pm - NM
My nutritionist is at a loss. My surgeon doesn't think it is a big deal. And, the last time I talked to his nurse, I wanted to strangle her. But, I couldn't get her to wrap her phone cord around her neck. It does happen with certain foods. But, it also happens with proven foods. Like today, I ate some jerky. Puked for 30 minutes. But, 2 hours later the jerky stayed down. I wish I could say that I have never over ate. But, it is rare that I have. And, I always go slow and chew well. Those were the first things I looked at when I started having troubles at 2 weeks after surgery and think about at every meal. One of the good things about being the mom of four, there are plenty of things to do between bites at meal time. For a while a couple of months ago, my surgeon had me sipping water with my foods to try and help ease them down. But, I don't do that any more. I am going to keep a diary of what I eat and barf. And, for more detail, I am going to keep details of what kind of barfing I have. Hat
Most Active