Post Ops

JustHat
on 12/24/04 3:38 am - NM
How long did you think about the surgery before taking the first step? How long did it take between the first step and surgery day? What is the one biggest reason you want to have surgery? What was the hardest part of the surgery? And, what was the hardest part in the long term? Is there something that you always wanted to do but haven't because of your weight? Have you done it yet? So far, what has been your biggest none scale victory (crossing legs or not needed a seat belt extention for example) What one piece of advice do you have for pre ops?
Kimanne B
on 12/24/04 5:10 am - Near The Emerald City, wa
Hey Hat, Merry Christmas! 1. I started researching WLS in 2003. I researched and researched and finally said "aw, heck, I'll try and diet one more time." It didn't work.. does it ever? So in June of 2004 I started researching and looking for a Doctor. It was just within a few months of my final decision that I was able to have surgery. Things went very smoothly for me 2. The biggest reason I wanted to have surgery was because I wanted to be healthier. I want to actually 'live.' Not just breath, but REALLY live! 3. I think one of the hardest, if not THE hardest part was the decision to have surgery. I felt very guilty and selfish. Worried about complications, my daughter, etc.... Was the possibility of being a 'normal' weight really worth the possibility of leaving my daughter alone and motherless in this world?????? The long term so far has been head hunger.. but I'm only 2.5 months out. So we'll see as I get further out! 4. I remember about a month ago when I could cross my legs. I just did it, and then realized I could do it!! What a small victory, but it nearly made me cry Eventually, I am going to take hip hop dance lessons and sky dive. I have a whole list of things I want to do on my profile! 5. Hmmm... one piece of advice...I'd say, to do your homework on this one. This surgery cannot be taken lightly. It is life altering! It is emotional as well as physical. You will have to learn to eat, just like a baby does, all over again! It's not a 'quick fix.' Not even close.... be sure you have weighed all your other options. I've had zero complications, and tolerate foods pretty well... and its been a difficult road. Manageable, but yes, difficult at times. Pre-ops: be sure of your decision and best of luck to you! Thanks Hat for some great questions! Merry Christmas and God Bless, Kimanne -54ish lbs
JustHat
on 12/25/04 7:40 pm - NM
How long did you think about the surgery before taking the first step? How long did it take between the first step and surgery day? I think I always thought about it in the back of my mind. But, I never really thought I would do it. Then in Jan or Feb of 2003, a friend had surgery. It was then that I realized it was actually an option. Insurance covers it 100%. I watched her lose weight for a year and seriously thought about it. But, DH was against it. Then last year at this time, I told him I really wanted it. It took a couple of months for him to warm up to the idea. Between when I finally got my referral and my surgery date, 5 1/2 months went by. What is the one biggest reason you want to have surgery? My body started to fall apart. I was ruining my hips. And, I was in pain a lot. My hips are still bothering me. But, at least I know I am not still damaging them. What was the hardest part of the surgery? And, what was the hardest part in the long term? Short term, it was lack of help from my family. I had to be back in full wife/mommy mode the day after I got home from the hospital. It made me a little cranky. Long term, I have had trouble with strictures. I worry that it will be a life long problem. And, I have spent time worrying that I won't be able to stop losing. DH is worried about it too. He told me today that he is happy with where I am body wise. But, he also knows we don't have much control over it at this point. BTW, my family is now giving me a lot of help and support. They know when I am really not feeling well. And, I get random hugs from them all. Like today, I was too hot and light headed all day. They never complained that I had to sit down or cool down or lean against the counter. They just waited without complaint while I took a little longer to make diner. Heck, I even had offers to help me cook. But, I like being alone in the kitchen for big days like today. Is there something that you always wanted to do but haven't because of your weight? Have you done it yet? So far, what has been your biggest non scale victory (crossing legs or not needed a seat belt extention for example) I can't think of one thing. Probably finding out that I actually enjoy shopping now is a big one. For years I couldn't care less about fashion. Now it is a given that we will walk through the clothing section when we enter a store. What one piece of advice do you have for pre ops? While you are trying to figure out how to fill your days while you wait for your sugery, get out all of your clothes and organize them. I went through my clothes again the other day and was pissed to find that there were a lot of new clothes that I had bought and put away only to forget about them and miss wearing them. Ebay, here I come. I gave away a bunch of jeans already. But, I figure the name brand stuff could help off set the expense of Christmas.
Most Active