Surgery Question

JustHat
on 12/20/04 2:19 pm - NM
I guess when I read other people's posts, I always assume that everyone had the same surgery as I did except maybe the open part. I know a lot of people would rather have a lap. I also know that it gives the info, but I forget to look. Anyway, I was wondering if everyone would tell why they chose to have the type of surgery they did. I had an open because that is all my insurance would pay for. I had the choise to have the bypass or not. I decided that dumping would be a good thing for me. So far I don't know if I dum*****t because I haven't challenged it. I am afraid I won't dump and then will give in to a few cravings I have had. So, it is better to assume I do and not really know. I have a friend that chose to not have the bypass. I asked her why, but she said it was because the doc thought it would be best. So, I am not sure of the reason. Hat
tinktee
on 12/20/04 11:18 pm - Spanaway, WA
Hi Hat, I dont know the reason either but I had the Gastric bypass because thats the only way Medicare will pay for the surgery. I had the lap surgery and zero pain 2 days after the surgery. I think the reason I have pain in my tummy is, I'm not paying attension while I'm eating and I eat to fast. As far as dumping thats what happens to me. I look at it this way, its no different from when I gorged myself while eating and feeling like I was going to explode. Hat where is your picture? I have 3 friends that are checking into having the surgery. ...Tee
auntlorlee
on 12/21/04 12:59 am - Bellingham, WA
When I finally get approved.... crossing fingers... I will have Lap RNY because that is the only thing that my insurance, GH, will pay for. This is a great question by the way. It would be nice to know who had DS and who had RNY, or Lap Band for that matter. I, like you, want the possibility of dumping . It will keep us honest and make it easier to eat right. My mom has lost 90 lbs in 6 months with her DS. But I see her eating stuff that she really shouldn't. I worry about that. Nothing seems to bother her. So, IMHO, I think the RNY is better for those of us who need to stay away from certain foods. And to second Terry, "Hat, where is your picture??" We would really like to see the Hot Ms. Hat!!! Have a great day!! Lori
lilchickad
on 12/21/04 2:32 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi Hat! (et al) I had an open RYN (medial gastric bypass). The reason I chose what I did, is I wanted medial (not proximal), and my surgeon would only do a proximal with lap. With proximal they bypass less of your intestines, and I wanted medial to have more of my intestines bypassed, therefore, absorping even less. I would have had distal (bypassing even MORE of my intestines), but my surgeon would not do it, as I only had about 90 pounds to lose, and he said I did not need that drastic of a surgery. My reasoning for choosing what I did was quite simple. I figured, if I'm going to do this, I'm not going to do it half way. I did not want to lose the weight and then end up gaining a lot back. I have been there and done that, so I wanted to be as sure as I could that this would be a permanent fix for me. Now, I realize it is only a tool, but I wanted the absorption to be the least amount that I could I have. I also chose this surgery due to the "dumping" factor, as I have no will power against sweets. I guess it has worked, because I am so afraid of dumping, that I have not put one thing that has sugar in it in my mouth since October 7. LOL Hope you all have a Merry Merry Christmas Laura 203/159/110
Luna_Rose
on 12/21/04 9:59 am - Wenatchee, WA
Hi ALL!! I'm hoping to have the LGB. I am afraid I wont heal very well, and to be honest, I want to get this fat off ASAP, and to do that, I need to be able to exercise. I am on the threshold here, with only a few steps taken, but I can tell you that even this far outside of my healthy, happy me-I am excited and anxious!!!! GOOD LUCK!! Cindy in Wenatchee
Kimanne B
on 12/21/04 6:32 pm - Near The Emerald City, wa
Hi Hat! Great question! I had open RNY on Oct. 12th, 2004. The reason I chose Open was because I'm a big girl and wanted my surgeon to be able to get a good view of what he was doing. Also, the surgeon I chose only did the Open procedure and I was so impressed with him, I knew he was the surgeon for me! I, like you, chose the RNY procedure because of the dumping. I thought it would reinforce potential bad habits I might find hard to change. I have only dumped once Once was enough for me to know that I never, ever want to dump again! My surgeon only performs a "medial" version of the RNY due to malabsorption issues. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year! XoXo~ Kimanne
Most Active