The Big Question

Gaynelle Sihto
on 12/3/04 12:29 pm - Thorp, WA
Hope evryone is having a good week. My question is if I'm denied coverage for my surgery what can I expect to pay if I have to cover it myself? God Bless Gaynelle
Iridescense
on 12/3/04 2:47 pm - university place, WA
Hi Gaynelle, I am currently writing a letter to go with my dr's letter in an attempt to convince my (self-funded) insurance company to pay. along with this I am sending them quotes for the costs. The break down I have is: (& if this is to high someone let me know because I could shop around, but I'm comfortable going here so if they pay it's worth it. If not it's off to Mexico as soon as I sell my house, I hope). Lap/GBP --- Surgeon $11,000 - Hosp $18,000 - Assist. Surgeon $2500 -Anesthesia 1200 Total = $33,000 (Ouch) GBP ------- Surgeon $10,000 - Hosp $18,000 - Assist. Surgeon $2500 - Anesthesia $1000 Total = $31,000 AGB ------ Surgeon $7000 - Hospital $8900 = Assist. Surgeon $1750 - Anesthesia $1200 Total = 19,000 Maybe I should compare rates but I like this doctor & he has done many with very, very few problems. so I feel like you get what you pay for and I'm willing to pay if I can get the insur to help or if I find myself suddenly recieving an unexpected financial windfall.. a girl can dream, right Good Luck in your quest
Amanda P.
on 12/4/04 6:00 am - Wa
Dont give up after being denied. You have appeals you can file. I was denied 3 times, then it went to an external review, which is outside of your insurance company. I did hire Walter and Kelley Lindstrom, cause I have one of the toughest insurance co. to get approval, so they got my approval and I have had my surgery. So before you spend all your money, you should exhaust all your appeals. Just my opinion, I didnt have the money to self pay. I wish you the best on getting an approval soon. Take care.......Amanda
karen C.
on 12/4/04 8:15 am - Kennewick, WA
I was quoted $21,000 for self pay. The part that scares me is what if there are complications??? I'm sure insurance wouldn't pick up the tab for that either! Not looking for trouble, but it doesn't take much time in the hospital to add up to a very large bill.
JustHat
on 12/5/04 5:12 am - NM
I am not sure if I have said before, but I asked the other day how much a scope and stretch would cost. They said to plan on about a $1000 a pop. Then of course, there would be the office visits and such. I think it is just one of those gambles that people decide to take. I mean, we do everything that we can to find a good doctor and prepare for the surgery. But, when it comes down to it, we are gambling our lives. So, gambling money seems like a minor thing. Anyway, now that I don't eat hardly anything, I should be putting that food money into a sock to save for possible medical expenses. Hat
Christine D.
on 12/5/04 11:58 am - WA
Don't quote me, but a gal I know here went to the Tri Cities I think it was and found a doctor that truley believes in this surgery and does it for only $8000.00 He only does it like to 2 people a year, kinda a charity thing, but I know she is doing great and loosing. He only does the band thing I think? If you want more info, please email me personally. I would have to call and ask her the specifics. Christine
Most Active