POP

kristibo
on 11/30/04 6:37 am - Redmond, WA
I know we are not supposed to, but I am craving POP like no tomorrow. The funny thing is I was hardly consuming any pop at least a year or so before surgery and now I really want it. I feel like I am soooo thirsty and water doesn't seem to be hitting the spot. Has anyone tried drinking pop or if not can you give me some good reasons to stay away from it? Thanks so much! Kristi RNY 10/11 down about 40 (don't have a scale...not really sure)
Chrissy P.
on 11/30/04 7:43 am - Federal Way, WA
Hey Kristi! We are like weight loss twins. I've lost about 40, also. I have hit a slump, though, and have been at the same weight for almost 2 weeks. Thursday is my 8-week anniversary. I am trying not to get discouraged, because I am doing my very best. I have a really hard time getting enough water in, and I often do not. But as for the pop, I hear ya! I was a Diet Coke addict prior to surgery, and it took me a while to get off it completely before surgery. I also crave it now. One day, I took a sip of my Dad's Diet Coke from Costco, but when it hit my mouth, I just knew it was going to hurt down there in my little pouchy. It was just one of those feelings. So, I found the nearest garbage can and spit it out. I am glad I did not swallow it. I have heard that the pop would eat away at the lining of our stomachs. And since we don't have much of a stomach, it could really hurt us. Plus, the bubbles would hurt and fill us up too much, so we couldn't get enough nutrition in. Pop actually eats away at the lining of anyone's stomach, it's just that the effect would be multiplied with our uniqueness. I think it also might stretch the pouch in a unique way. On the other hand, I once saw a post on the main board on which many post-surgery people wrote in to say that they do drink diet pop all the time. It is so tempting, but I believe that it is not worth the risk. This is going to be one of my tough resolves throughout my life, for sure! Hope to see you at the WISH support group next week! Chris
kristibo
on 11/30/04 8:44 am - Redmond, WA
Thanks Chris! I needed some good reasoning as to why I should refrain! As hard as it is....I will keep trying. I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing that I don't have a scale. I have to admit, without it, I can't measure whether I am in a slum*****t. I figure I have been, but can't really tell. I did actually have to put a belt on with some jeans I'm wearing today and that was pretty exciting. I haven't worn a belt for a looooong time. Today has actually been my bes****er intake day yet. I'm really struggling with getting enough in. Hopefully, this will improve with time. I'm hoping to make it to the meeting next week. I look forward to seeing you there. Kristi
lilchickad
on 11/30/04 9:37 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Kristi, The reasoning that my nutritionist gave for not drinking soda anymore was A. the caffeine, and B. it works as a diuretic, taking fluids from our body, and actually dehydrating us more than simply not drinking. I drank 6 to 8 cans of diet coke A DAY up until the day of my surgery. LOL Interestingly enough, I have only had a couple of cravings. I have given in to them twice, and both times, the soda tasted awful, so I only had one drink. It didn't make me feel bad or anything, but I just didn't see the point in "cheating" with it if it did not taste good. So, I guess my recommendation would be (and also my nutritionist told me this)....do not deprive yourself...if you are absolutely dieing, then take a diet coke, pour it over ice, let it sit for a bit to help some of the carbonation dissipate, and sip at it. She, herself, said she will drink soda on occasion when eating out, like maybe once a month. I am not advocating or condemning it, I feel it is a person's choice. We have given up so much for this surgery, and sometimes people need to feel "normal" again, I know I sure do. I hope this helps! Laura 203/170/110
Chrissy P.
on 11/30/04 2:09 pm - Federal Way, WA
Laura, Hmmmm.... So does that mean that caffeine-free products would be OK, in small, infrequent doses? Thanks, Chris
lilchickad
on 11/30/04 11:58 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi Chris, I would assume if it was diet-caffeine-free, it would be better for you than drinking it with caffeine in it. There is also the question of carbonation. Some docs believe it can stretch your pouch, others do not. I could not find anywhere in my research of my info from my nutritionist or the wish center where you could not have carbonated beverages, although I could have missed it in the Wish Center stuff, as there was a ton of info from them. So, you do pose an interesting question Laura
skudoozie
on 11/30/04 10:40 am - Elk, WA
Kristi, I have to admit, I am one of those who has had some soda now and then. Like you, I would get thirsty for something that wasn'****er. I talked with my surgeon and he said that small amounts would be ok (no sugar, of course) so I tried drinking a little soda water with some lemon in it. Then from time to time I drank a little sf soda. The biggest problem I see is that it is harder to really burp now and the gas can be bothersome if it builds up. I have to qualify this all by saying that I have had no problems with food or drink almost 4 months out. So maybe I can tolerate it better than some. Also, I was never a big soda fan, so if I just take a couple of drinks, maybe 2 oz or so, I don't really want more. I guess if you were addicted to the stuff before surgery, it probably isn't a good idea! Seems that we are all different in some ways. I talk with people who say if they eat any sugar, they dump. Others can't drink milk products.... I think you have to just listen to your doctor and nutritionist and slowly try things and see how you do on them. Suzie
ncarter11
on 12/1/04 1:36 am - Edmonds, WA
Hi Kristi! I plan to *not* go back to soda. It's a plan, we'll see how it goes. I have read that even flat soda is a problem. When the soda warms to body temperature it releases more gas. The concern is stretching the pouch. What did your doc say about pop? Nancy RNY 09/16/04 276/206/150 -70lbs (-21 preop, -49 post)
kristibo
on 12/1/04 3:12 am - Redmond, WA
Hi Nancy, They told me to stay away from pop. I did pose the question, "what about when I really crave one", the dietician did say, to let it go flat and then have a little bit. She then added...this of course probably defeats the purpose of you drinking it I don't recall them mentioning that it would stretch the pouch, but I certainly don't want that happening! I'll do my best to avoid it! Thanks. Kristi
Cori T.
on 12/1/04 7:23 am - Neah Bay, WA
I just had my 3 month post op appt. last Tue and Dr. Weber said I could now have carbonation. I went for a beer, hehehe only 1 mind you and it took me forever to drink it that it got warm :=/
Most Active