Madigan Patients

Mrs1stSgt
on 11/28/04 4:53 am - Lacey, WA
My surgery is Wed, Dec 1. Was wondering what to take to hospital. Lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste, deck of cards, etc. What did you take...what do they provide.....what is unnecessary? Thanks
pat9047
on 11/29/04 6:35 am - CO
Bring lip gloss, comb, tooth brush/tooth paste (don't swallow the water), book, shampoo, and moisturizing skin cream. I didn't go to Madigan, I was at Sacred Heart in Spokane. They don't provide much. When you aren't walking you are sleeping or watching TV. Bring a light weight robe of you have one, the hospitals are warm, slippers and something comfy to wear home. Wear it too the hospital so you don't cart too much stuff around. Leave jewelry and money at home. Don't line up too many visitors either. Wait until you get home. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.
karenyt
on 11/29/04 8:05 am - Renton, WA
List per responses sounds good. I, of course, overpacked and took books which I never touched, TV plans which I never saw, etc. Most of the time in hospital I walked for comfort, talked with other WLS patients as we were all in the same bariatric specialty wing, had my family (husband and daughter) and a few visitors, slept and drugged self!! My stay in hospital felt short so relax and "enjoy" your pampering. Good luck, best wishes and let's hear how it goes. You'll be fine!! Karen Thompson 09-15-2004 50+ pounds down
marcie158
on 11/29/04 10:05 am - tacoma, wa
i would take comfort and cleansing items (personal soap, toothbrush, maxipads, etc.) your phone book, a phone card, and a family picture.
Tanja Y
on 11/29/04 7:10 pm - Wahiawa, HI
When I had surgery at Madigan out of all the things I took, the two things I used the most was my own fan (my room felt super hot to me) and a book. They provided a toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion and soap. Lip balm my sister kept putting on me anytime she visited me and I think she left me a tube but I ended up loosing it. Houseslippers if you don't want to wear their cute blue socks with the grippers on the bottom and a robe if you don't want to wear a hospital gown on backwards as one. Everybody's needs are different, so take what you feel you'll need If you don't use it, it will just stay in your bag, so no biggie. ~Tanja -118
sassy
on 11/30/04 5:18 am - Kaiserslautern Military Community, Germany, XX
i packed mostly hygiene stuff, shampoo, soap, lotion, etc. it was nice to have your own smells and your own things when it comes time for your shower. i even enjoyed my own hand towel and hair towel. made me feel "normal". i loved having visitors, made the time go quicker. i just suggest waiting until the 2nd day. i dont remember much from the 1st day. once the cathedar is out, your own jammies from home are worth their weight in gold! bring a pillow from home, just make sure the cover isnt white so they dont swipe it by accident. sometimes its the little things from home that feel the best. some of my visitors brought me magazines and word search books, and they werent even touched until we packed them up to take them home. my biggest thing was the clutter, i had too much stuff and i was always trying to get up and straighten up things. i always got caught and i always got in trouble lol good luck!!
Most Active