IBUPROFEN???

Mrs1stSgt
on 11/17/04 3:01 am - Lacey, WA
Is it true you cannot take Ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc post-op? What do you take instead?
lilchickad
on 11/17/04 3:55 am - Bonney Lake, WA
My surgeon says that I can take any Tylenol products (as long as they are liquid or chewable or dissolve in water in 5 minutes). No ibuprofen or aspirin simply because it is too irritating and small amounts can cause ulcers. Hope this helps! Laura
Hilda R.
on 11/19/04 12:21 am - Bucoda, WA
I agree with previous poster. No NSAIDS....That means no Ibuprofen, or asprin of any kind. No anti-inflamitory drugs. As I was told because they can cause ulcers in your unused stomach and you might not notice it till it is too late. I'ts better to be careful and stick to Tylenol... Hilda
Maggie M.
on 12/7/04 5:44 pm - Puyallup, WA
Hi here is my horror story for you I didn't know that we couldn't take the Ibuprofen after surgery 9/13/04. My back started hurting really bad I guess from losing the weight things shifted narrowing of the spine was revealing itself . I had taken it before, had some at home of my own 800 mg's. I didn't take any I waited until I seen my doc that performed my surgery and I asked him the doctor thats been doing this surgery for years... He said yes go ahead and take half and make sure it goes down and then take the other half so I dida couple weeks later .. The 31st of October I was hurting I was gagging couldn't eat crying, in pain I thought maybe something was stuck so I was drinking warm tea, never went away, tried to get in and see my doc but you know military you just have to wait they said you can see him 11/28th almost a month. But of course I tried another route left a message on the head nurse phone they got me in on Friday did a Endoscopy and sure enough a deep wide ulcer amost all the way through my pouch.. Did you say your doc was Doc Carter at Madigan? well let's just say it wasn't him who Ok it. But someone he knows... I hear Doc Carter is a great doc and I like to switch over to him but not sure how that works or if I can... I am doing better but it was so bad I had to start over they said I couldn't for a week and I had barely ate for a week already.. I felt like I was losing it I had to go to my doc at McChord and talk to her I was feeling so bad not just physically but the mentally too.... But I am fine now still have to take these dam anti acid pills . I see him tomorrow so hopefully my feelings about him will be better unless he makes me drink that discusting liquid to make sure there are no leaks.. I rather do the endoscopy that wasn't bad at all.. Maggie
Most Active