Doing fine but out of sorts??

karenyt
on 11/14/04 3:46 am - Renton, WA
Hi All. I had my open RNY through WISH Renton, WA on 09-15-2004 and have no regrets at all. I am doing well with my liquids and purees but not so well with most soft foods - eggs OK, chicken is tough, beef is hard, etc. Nothing makes me "sick" although my pouch feels stuffed and ouchie after just a very few bites of soft foods and I generally prefer my liquids and purees. Is this going to be a problem for me later you think? My traditional routine with dieting was always great compliance at first, then overcompliance for a while and then "cheating" starting in to eventual quitting time!! I do not want this pattern to repeat here. I am determined and have done physically what I can to be right on program, but the psychological is hard. I don't as much miss "food" as I am scared. Can anyone relate out there? Any tips? Guidance? Similar stories? This is the best thing I've done for myself and I don't want to risk it or blow it. Karen Thompson 09-15-2004 50 pounds down
sspev
on 11/14/04 5:18 am - Seattle area (Everett), WA
Karen, Thanks for expressing your concerns -- I'm feeling somewhat the same way. My surgery was 12 days ago, and until my first post-op appointment on Wednesday, I'm on full liquids. This morning after church when I went downstairs to the "social hour" and saw all the cookies, etc. -- I'm thinking about how I used to munch a couple there, and then take a couple more "for the road". Now I just had my water bottle with me. Not fun! Earlier this week I was already "cheating" the full liquids -- I added an ounce of cheddar melted into my cream soup, and another day I tried a dab of refried beans with cheese melted into it. Everything went down fine -- I'm s'posed to take 30 minutes to consume each 4-oz meal, but they go down so much faster than that. I've been walking, but not EVERY day. But, too, it seems that perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves and beat ourselves up? The surgery is our tool; we just have to make if work in the relatively short time that our predecesors tell us we have to make it work! Take care, and hang in there, Susan
ncarter11
on 11/15/04 3:52 am - Edmonds, WA
Boy, do I relate. The real work is in making the mental and emotional changes! I have run into lots of surprising issues I have with food and dieting, the scale, and exercise. I don't want this to be just another diet - I want a permanent change. I can't eat meats either. I throw them all up. So, no meats for me for a while. I know it won't be like this forever. It won't for you either. I'll try again here and there. Sometimes ground beef is okay. I am finding that my pouch definitely perfers the softer foods, too. My morning oat bran goes down real well. Marinated mozerella balls do too. They are softer than string cheese. Shakes go down fine too - except the volume is a little much for me. I eat 2-3 oz a meal. Most everything else irritates my tummy in varying degrees. Why can I eat nuts and not meat? I do a lot of spitting. I figure it's all part of the process - I'm hoping that my body will keep defining food boundaries for me, giving me an extra edge while my habits and old thought patterns are replaced with new healthier ones. I freak out periodically just as you describe here. The big question - will I fail this too?? The answer is "NO!!!!" We took a hard road for a permanent change - the change will come. We need to use the tool to make the changes that will last a life time. It's clear, that most of the changes need to happen in our heads! And our hearts. The surgury gives us an extended period of time that typical diets do not. Using this time to face into the years of crap left in the wake of dozens of diets, I think is key. I want NEW thoughts, attitudes about food and activity. My surgeon is a exercise fanatic. He can be motivational, but I find him overbearing. Still, exercise is *critical* to my success. I must be active for the rest of my life. It is my plan to incorporate lots of means to increase my activity. Gardening and landscaping. Hiking. The gym. Walking. Swimming. Morning aerobics or yoga. Active interests - dare I say something sports-y. No one activity is going to be the magical exercise cure. I bore too easily and will quit just like you said. Saturating my life with several active options will make my life-STYLE more active and work towards my long term success. Seasonal switching out activities will reduce boredom too. This is my hope anyway. I don't miss food too much and I don't miss the weight either! ;) Hugs to all! Nancy 09-16-04 RNY 276/211/150 -65# (44# since surgery, 21# preop)
Most Active