Overeating

Chrissy P.
on 11/8/04 4:51 am - Federal Way, WA
Hi! I had my first experience at overeating last night. This is a VERY big deal for post-ops! I was actually hungry for dinner, which is rare, and my dad brought me a baked potato from Wendy's. For some reason, I love those. I mashed the potato innards and mixed it with dry nonfat milk powder (adds protein), margarine, and NF sour cream. Then, I dug in. I ate way too fast and way too much. And no, I didn't measure anything, which, duh, is a big mistake. I spent the rest of the evening on the verge of . It hurt SO MUCH! That's why they tell me this will only happen once! I sure hope that's all. It is very painful to overeat. Does anyone else have any overeating stories to share? Chris
lilchickad
on 11/8/04 5:47 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi Chris, I am having issues with overeating more often than not, especially if I do not measure. The problem is, that I do not feel really sick, I just sort of feel uncomfortable. Also, I do not get a warning that I am full, its just when I stand up, I feel like my pouch is stretched out or something, I dunno, its hard to explain. I have also found that I am suffering from A LOT of diarrhea (I know gross, sorry). But, its wierd, its like it hits me every night about the same time, and I spend literally about 3 hours up and down going to the bathroom. Its getting very annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it more when I eat greasy foods or we eat out that it is even worse. I just wonder if this is normal. Do other people do this? Or is this just me, eating too much, or eating the wrong things?????? Anybody have any advice? Thanks, Laura
Chrissy P.
on 11/8/04 6:02 am - Federal Way, WA
Argh! Frustrating! What kinds of foods are you eating regularly? Sounds like that might be the difference. My post-op diet is supposed to be 1/2 cup of food, 6 times per day. I am nowhere near that yet!! I know what you mean about not knowing you're full until it is too late. I sometimes experience the same thing, which is why measuring is so important. At this point, I first eat about 1/4 cup very slowly, then I wait a little while to figure out whether I'm full yet. If not, then I try to eat more. My problem is that I am not eating often enough yet. This will all even out at some point!
lilchickad
on 11/8/04 6:12 am - Bonney Lake, WA
I think you may have hit the nail on the head for me, as far as not eating often enough. I am still eating MOSTLY 3 times a day, and by then I am starved, so therefore I overeat. I think maybe I need to "start over" with soups and such and try to work my way back in, eating more like 6 times a day. I cannot do the protein shakes the way I am supposed to, as they make me nauseated and sleepy, so I have been concentrating on getting in my protein by eating. Not easy when you cannot eat that much. LOL!!!! My weight loss has been fairly slow too (which makes me cranky). I am 4-1/2 weeks out and only down 24 pounds. I wanted to be down at least 80 by now *GRIN*. Okay, I sound like I have ADD. Which I don't think I have. LOL This post has gone in 50 different directions. LOL. Sorry, I think I just needed to be cranky and vent a little bit! Anyway, I am going to go back to measuring, and trying to be more compliant with that and stay away from greasy foods, and maybe that will help my other issues Have a great rest of your day!! Laura
karenyt
on 11/9/04 2:13 am - Renton, WA
Hi and welcome to post-op recovery!! I will replay my story about overeating: on my birthday, which was 5 weeks post-op and I could eat puree foods, I decided I'm a big girl now and can eat chicken - soft, non-greasy, home cooked and delicious. However, I did not measure, I did not wait in between bites long enough, and I ate too much - too fast - and suffered the agony of defeat!! I spent the rest of the evening on my birthday suffering with an overstuffed pouchie ouchie that put me onto the couch in a reclining position for most of the evening - but in PAIN!! Finally, pouchie after hours of this decided to let me sleep and when I awoke, hours later and birthday past, I had learned the first of many I am sure valuable post-op lessons first hand - eat slowly (hard to do), measure (I can usually do this) and don't eat too much!! Better to quit when I'm still slightly hungry than to overstuff!! At 6+ weeks post-op, I am far from perfect but am learning a great deal about my eating habits and how to avoid ouchie pouchie!! No more than 1/2 cup (when that) 6 times a day is what the Dr. told me and I am now a firm believer!! I use the WISH protein powder daily for my vitamins, minerals and some protein, then I have two additional meals and 3 "snack" meals - eating/drinking protein 6 times a day keeps me full, satisfied and generally not as cranky as "dieting" did!! How are other people post-op doing it? I'd love to get tips and learn from others too!! Karen Thompson 09-15-2004 45+ pounds down
Chrissy P.
on 11/9/04 6:24 am - Federal Way, WA
Hi Karen, Please share your secret: how in the heck do you tolerate that WISH Protein Plus stuff? Any magic recipes? It makes me gag. Are you going to the WISH Center support group tonight? I really want to meet you! Chris Misner 32 pounds down!
sspev
on 11/9/04 3:17 pm - Seattle area (Everett), WA
Let me chime in here, with my new-found experience! Being 1-wk post op, I'm getting quite tired of SF pudding, yogurt, etc. I much prefer the cream soups and chicken broth. Trouble is, I had only purchased flavored protein (chocolate, vanilla and peach-mango). On the weekend, we got plain whey protein powder, and I've been mixing it into the cream soup or broth. My other brainstorm was to get V8 juice, and gel it with Knox gelatin packets. It isn't a lot of protein, but it's sure a nice change from yogurt or pudding. At least I just have one more week before I get to graduate to the next phase! Susan
Most Active