Wish center pre-op diet.. Help???

chunkable
on 10/25/04 3:44 am - federal way, wa
So i've started on my pre op diet and working out 6 days a week between walking and the excersize bike im doing what I think I should be doing and eating my 6 meals a day but im finding that Im gaining weight.. Do any of you know if they expect us to lose weight doing this or are they just trying to make sure we are eating protein at every meal. I don't want to get back there in december and find out they won't let me do surgery because i have gained... Can anyone who has had surgery at the wish center help me with this question. Thank you guys Cindy
Chrissy P.
on 10/25/04 4:36 am - Federal Way, WA
Hi Cindy! No more worries! The WISH Center has absolutely no requirements of losing weight prior to surgery. In fact, they told me that most patients GAIN weight during the pre-op because they are usually eating more than they did before. Their philosophy is that if you could lose weight, then you wouldn't need the surgery. So, eat away! Enjoy yourself! Getting used to the routine is the most important thing right now, and it can be challenging for busy people. Believe me, those few additional pounds WILL come off soon after surgery. The WISH Center will postpone your surgery if you do not journal, do not exercise, and do not eat your six meals a day with protein. If you have any other questions, call the nutritionist. I really like her (Michaela). And, if you have any other questions for me, email me, and I'd be happy to help! Good luck! Don't worry about that scale right now! Your friend, Chris WISH Center 10/7/04 25 lbs lost
karenyt
on 10/25/04 4:43 am - Renton, WA
Welcome! As a WISH Center post-op of 5 weeks, I can tell you they are great and you will be real successful if you follow their recommendations. I am in the honeymoon phase right now, which means I'm following the plan, losing weight and not hungry again now. I am enjoying this stage while it lasts!! They don't care if you gain, lose or stay the same during the pre-op "diet" stage - it is to ensure you understand and practice the importance of small many meals, protein first, vegetables second, and fruit last, food choices. Also, don't drink immediately before, during or after meals ... this is an important one. Recording your food and your exercise is a real learning process and will help a lot after surgery too. They are real interested in making sure you succeed and they will require your records at 2nd meeting before they schedule surgery - you want to do it and not have to wait even longer for surgery date. Don't worry if it's not perfect; just do your best that's all that counts. Feel free to ask any other questions and welcome to the Washington board. I too had surgery at WISH Renton, and am very glad I did. Scarey, but glad!! Karen Thompson 09-15-2004 down 35 pounds
chunkable
on 10/25/04 5:01 am - federal way, wa
oh phewww... Here is what I have been eating and yes im eating more than i used to so ofcourse im gaining.. I am journaling everything and taking all my vitamins as well as making sure that I get all of my water in as well as excersizing. I do switch off from walking to my excersize bike to curves but have found that I am doing well in that dept. Here's what I am having today breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with cheese snack - pistachios lunch - chicken salad with olives , tomato, lettuce, chicken snack - apple with peanut butter dinner - 1 taco snack - glass of soy milk I will walk tonight for approx 35-40 minutes on the track. Does this all look okay?? Cindy
karenyt
on 10/25/04 9:09 am - Renton, WA
Just be sure not to drink at same time as eat, which is difficult for me still. Looks good and trust me, you won't be able to nor want to eat this much food after surgery,,,, and you won't be hungry for a while too!!! Karen Thompson WISH Center Renton Dr. Strain and Dr. A 09-15-2004 35 pounds down
chunkable
on 10/27/04 3:57 am - federal way, wa
thank you Karen. After your 2nd appt was your surgery pretty close to 2 weeks after that?? Im trying to guess on mine.. My 2nd appt is december 21st so 2 weeks after would be around the 5th of january were they pretty true to their time line?? Cindy pre-op Dr Alperovich 29 years old
karenyt
on 10/27/04 9:42 am - Renton, WA
My pre-op was 3 weeks before surgery but only because they needed both Drs. in mine, Dr. A and Dr. S (open RNY with gallbladder removal and potential complications) so they had to coordinate their schedules. Otherwise yes, I think they try to be consistent as much as can with the two weeks. Through holidays though, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Actually, my surgery date was scheduled well before my 2nd appointment as insurance approved (we still think ....) OK and I was free to schedule surgery. They will delay surgery at 2nd appointment if they need to. You can call the WISH Center and ask though, no problem.
Most Active