Hi All!

tinktee
on 10/23/04 2:29 am - Spanaway, WA
I wanted to take a second and write a bit. I'm doing ok, thing's are not as sweet as they were. I think I'm getting dehydrated though and thinking I should go to the ER before it get's worse. The first night I was home I experienced the dumping syndrum, it wasn't a nice thing but made it thru it. I haven't been on any pain meds sense I left the hospital. I will write more after I'm feeling better, sorry about the poor spelling. What is good to eat when your 5 days post-op. Tee
karenyt
on 10/23/04 2:39 am - Renton, WA
Terry, Hang in there it will get better, it is worth it, and you will make it through just fine. Some of us have easier times and some of us have tougher times adjusting, your body decides this not you!! but adjust your body will. Follow whatever diet your Dr. says but mine had me on clear liquids only - broth, liquid protein drinks, milk, water, water, water, for the first full two weeks after hospital. Now I am on pureed foods (Stage 2) for the next 4 weeks after liquids and I look forward to moving to Stage 3 which is SOFT foods in another week or two. I goofed and tried chicken with lots and lots of chewing last night with my family for MY birthday, and within 10 minutes or less I was one miserable birthday girl for the rest of the evening. My pouch much prefers SOFT and pureed right now. Keep up the spirits and let us hear how you're doing. We're all here for you and you've taken one major step which you should be very very proud of ... you will later at least!! Trust me. Karen Thompson 09-15-2004 Down 35 pounds
sspev
on 10/23/04 3:19 am - Seattle area (Everett), WA
Terry, Welcome home, and to the losing side! What did you have that made you dump? Not being where you are yet, I don't know what's good. But from the list Robin gave me, do any of those things work for you? the Carnation instant breakfast, or sf lowfat yogurt, or lowfat cream soup, or sf pudding? Kimanne posted that your IV blew out in the hospital, and had to be changed. Otherwise, was your surgery and hospitalization ok for you? Take care, keep resting, and keep recovering! Peace to you, Susan
Kimanne B
on 10/23/04 9:01 am - Near The Emerald City, wa
Terry~ I just spoke with your son to make sure you still had all the paperwork that the Docs & Nutrionists gave you, that shows what we can have at which stage. We are on the 'all liquid" stage until further notice (meaning until the Doc changes it at a post op visit). If you need copies, just call me and I'll get them to ya! Remember, you should drink drink drink so you don't get dehydrated! You son told me that you aren't drinking! What am I going to do with you! Walk walk walk and drink drink drink girlie! Thats what will get you feeling better! Just follow the rules and you'll be on the road to recovery! I'm here if ya need me. XoXo~ Kimanne
Cori T.
on 10/23/04 10:48 am - Neah Bay, WA
Terry, don't make me yell at you! Get tha****er in! My first weeks post op I kept a bottle of water everywhere I tended to go. One was in the LR, one in the kitchen, one by my bed and one by the computer. If you don't like it if it gets lukewarm, then half freeze a bottle, add water to fill, then put in the spots mentioned. Take care!
Chrissy P.
on 10/23/04 4:21 pm - Federal Way, WA
HI Terry! Congratulations for pulling through and coming to the losing side. It's a roller coaster ride! Everyone else on this post has scolded you for not drinking, and so I say ditto. But, I also know how disgusting sweet-tasting stuff can get as you move through these 2 weeks post-surgery. I tried some things, and all of them worked OK for me, but be careful. You are still really early, being only 5 days post-op. Something you try today might not work, but in a few days, it might be OK. Or, you may be able to tolerate something today, and then tomorrow feel nauseous just at the thought of it. My ideas that worked for me: (1) buy a can of Healthy Request Campbells Chicken Noodle soup, and carefully strain out the broth, making sure that there are NO solid pieces. Sip the broth slowly with a toddler-sized spoon. I did this because I got to the point where I could not tolerate another taste of plain old chicken broth. This is tastier and has more flavor. The same goes for other soups that are beef-broth based. I was worried about the sodium content (so I got low-sodium), but my nutritionist told me that since we are intaking such a small amount of the liquid, that the salt probably does not affect us. However, given your dehydration dangers, please beware! (2) You can probably tolerate Campbells Green Pea Soup. It has 9 grams of protein per serving, which is pretty darn good once you start really shopping around. This brand has no lumps in it at all, and really tastes good. I never thought I would say that about peas. At the beginning, though, you may want to consider diluting it with a little more water than is called for on the can. Like most said earlier, you should just follow what your surgeon tells you. I, however, really had to get creative by the end of my 2-week liquid diet, and so I wanted to pass on these ideas in case they are helpful to you. We are all so individual, so what works for me may not work for you. Please watch that dehydration! Good luck! Your friend, Chris 25 lbs erased from existence
Most Active