Checking in

JustHat
on 10/20/04 1:47 pm - NM
I thought I might post an update. We find out on Nov. 8 what the Air Force is going to do with my husband and his asthma. Their last offer was to kick him out and give us a little bit of cash. We wouldn't have any retirement or medical benifits. I have a handicapped son that has medical bills that are pretty high each month. Plus, I am concerned about my own health care. And, then there is the fact that I need heath insurance just because I have four boys and you never know what they are going to break next. All h@ll broke loose a couple of weeks ago that really pushed my buttons. As it turns out, the people here at our base that are supposed to be helping and supporting us are screwing us. But, that really isn't WLS related. The burning in my food pipe (can't spell that E word) has not been as bad lately. The last time it got really bad I was was in so much pain and nothing helped. I called the gastro the next day and asked for an appointment. I had that last Friday. I got the feeling from both Dr. Weber and the gastro that I was supposed to go through Dr. W's office before making any more appointments with the gastro. My feeling is that it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with Dr. W's office. I saw Dr. W last Tuesday. It was a no big deal appointment. He was happy with my progress. I told him that I still couldn't eat. He said that strictures can be a good thing because the further limit our food intake. But, on days like today, I don't see it as a good thing at all. Anyway, I told him that I had already called the gastro doc. After we chatted a little, he agreed that it was probably a good idea. But, I got the feeling he wanted to be called first. Then he called the gastro doc and asked him to look for a stricture and to coat my throat with something. I don't think the gastro agreed to coat my throat with anything. And, I think he said we would discuss a scope when I saw him. At some point he told me that my next appointment with him was going to be when I was six months out. At this point, I told him that I wouldn't be back to see him because we would probably lose our medical insurance. He said to come in anyway. He wanted to see me and wouldn't charge. I thought that was really nice, but I bet Pam wouldn't. LOL Anyway, we aren't staying in the area. So, I won't even be around. He said that I should at least email him about 6 months. And, he wants to see me next month before I go. On Friday we saw the gastro. It was a quick appointment. I explained how hard eating is for me. So, he scheduled me for a scope in a couple of weeks. They could have gotten me in a week earlier, but I have to have a driver and DH will be down in Texas finding out what the Air Force is going to do with us. The last 24 hours has been bad food wise. Last night I tried a little baked potato and a tiny bit of fish. Both have been fine in the past. But, both came up very quickly after I ate. It took me hours before I could even drink again. Everything today other than water and one protein shake has come back up. I am trying my best not to let it come back up. I try and try to not barf. And, I know that if I drink anything, I won't be able to control it. After some well chewed chicken this lunch time, I didn't drink for 1 1/2 hours. But, I knew it wasn't going anywhere. So, finally I took a drink and up it came. One thing about barfing is you get to reevaluate how well you chewed. I chewed very well. The protein shake came in between lunch and diner. It made me sick but stayed down. Then diner came back up right away. The feeling I had tonight was that the food didn't even make it to my pouch. I never thought I had another stricture, but now I am wonder if that is what is going on. This is really concerning because if I have developed another, then I will feel that I am prone to them and will really need that medical coverage. I am really happy that the doctors are trying to help me get everything taken care of before the insurance is gone. I just keep praying that the Air Force will do the right thing. But, after so much has gone wrong, I only see a dark path financially. Now I have some questions for you. 1. Now that you can't eat to deal with stress, what do you do instead? 2. Post-ops, have you had or when did you have your first drink? 3. If you have arthritis, did you notice a change after surgery? And, what medications are you on for arthritis? 4. Anyone want a puppy? We adopted a stray 3 weeks ago. Apparently, she came with her own family. I am trying to figure out what her due date may be. I am hoping they puppies can be given away before we move. If not, then it is going to be a real interesting move. ~~Hat~~
awidick
on 10/20/04 2:55 pm - Spanaway, WA
Hi Hat, Thanks for checking in. I'm sorry to hear that your not feeling well. I hope you don't have another stricture. And the military, they use and abuse you then throw you away. I don't know why that is. I'm really sorry to hear about you husband. I hope things get better. Where will you move to? Your in my thoughts and prayers. Arlene
Chanise D.
on 10/20/04 4:09 pm - Lakewood, WA
Hey Hat... I am so sorry to hear what you are going thru... I myself was booted out of the service but my siuation is totally different due to the fact that my hubby stayed in...never the less, it is still traumatic wondering about the welfare of your family...I know I lost a lot of sleep when I was going thru it...alone...(hubby in Korea) Everything will work it self out...I only know of you what I have seen on the site, but I do believe you have a good heart...that means your blessed.....and God always looks out for his children.... Please don't forget to take care of yourself....We as women and wives and mothers and daughters and sisters and employees and employers and everything else get so wrapped up, we neglect ourselves...take time with you and your health OKAY.... Things are going to work out....It may not be YOUR plan but it will be a plan...You understand? It took me a while to understand, but I see the plan now... You have a Doc offering a free office visit...WHAT other signs do you need???LOL..or did you go in ther looking too sexy with your skinny self and he just want to see you again???? Take care of the hubby because I know he is stressed.....Take care of the boys because they always need MaMa.....and take care of Hat because if Hat is not taken care of, whose going to take care of the Boys and the Hubby?????
Cori T.
on 10/22/04 12:40 am - Neah Bay, WA
wow, sorry you're still dealing with your post-op issues. I don't get how if they're medically discharging your hubby, that they could not give any med. benefits? How many yrs. does he have in? Can't they medically retire him? Can you say the asthma is work related? About your questions 1) I like to keep my hands busy. I've been making my own beaded bracelets and necklaces in the evenings while watching tv. I'm also a scrapbooker. 2)I had my first drink at 5 wks and Dr W approved it. Told me to be careful as you never know how it'll hit you. 3)I have arthritis in my thumbs, I have Vioxx but haven't taken it post op at all, hasn't been too bad lately though (knocking on wood) I have been getting headaches the last few days though, probably not drinking enough water, been lax in that. 4)ruh-roh...puppies, LOL. We have one puppy, but at 10 months, our yellow lab doesn't seem to be much of a puppy anymore. One is enough!
Most Active