Really really difficult time..I live at the hospital

Chrissy P.
on 10/12/04 3:50 am - Federal Way, WA
Hello OH Friends, My angel, Sonja, has done a great job updating all of you about my progress after my surgery on 10/7. (Thank you so much, Sonja! You are truly an angel ). This is the first time that I have felt like typing, even though, oddly enough, my hands and body are more swollen than they have ever been in my life, making typing difficult. So I will try to give you all as complete an update as possible. I am still in the hospital. It is Tuesday, and my surgery was last Thursday. I am now back on the diet where you're not even allowed to put anything in your mouth at all. My surgeon, Dr. Strain, and all of the medical professionals here at the WISH Center, believe that my body is so swollen, that my golfball stomach is so tender, and that the connection between my new tummy and my small intestine is so swollen, that NOTHING can get through it. I have thrown up absolutely everything that has gone into my tummy so far since surgery. I am miserable, but I have a lot of faith that this is temporary and that eventually I will be able to eat like a normal WLS person. I have a very positive attitude, and I am very strong. I still walk a lot, more than is called for, and I have visitors and flowers and caring nurses and aids. Most of all, my mom has been here 24/7, and my dad comes every day. I have watched people have WLS after me, then leave before me. But still, emotionally, I am OK, and I know that God will get me through this. I just hope that my bank accounts will survive the extra $1000 per day! Don't want to think about that right now. Yesterday, I had an upper GI. A horrendous experience when you have a cut down the middle of you, and you can't keep anything down! First they put you on a cold slab of steel, then lean you back so that you are in a completely flat position on your back. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't tolerate lying flat like that. I get even more nauseous and it hurts my opening. I have to be upright, and I sleep fine that way. I kept telling the techs that I could not tolerate the position and that I was not supposed to tolerate the position, but it was like they couldn't hear me (selective listening, I guess). Then, the dreaded barium or whatever that is was introduced to me. I explained to them a few times that I could only take in an ounce every 10 minutes, and that I was going even slower than that, but they kept insisting. I would take a sip, ask for the barf tray, then they'd tell me to take another sip, and so on. I am not sure, but I think that way more than an ounce went in by swallowing in a 2-minute period. I was crying and gagging and completely in pain. Finally, they stopped insisting that I drink, they took their pictures, and then got me back into the wheelchair. That's when the little pink barf tray really came in handy, because I lost absolutely everything that had been in my stomach before that. And it wasn't the first time!! It turns out that NOTHING is leaving my little pouch (except by mouth). Everything that goes in either stays in the pouch or comes out as vomit. My small intestines and bowel have shut down. Still, Dr. Strain truly believes that this is all because of the swelling, and that it will get better! Please pray that he is right! I am waiting for him right now! It is amazing to me that I have gone without any food at all for about 6 days. I never thought I could do that. It is also strange to me that all they have here is Boost, apple juice, milk, and broth. I think that Boost is too sweet, so I always reject it. So why can't they get a better equivalent for me? I've asked. I've always liked apple juice, but it is another one that is way too sweet, and it is also rejected. Why not a different 100% juice? The only thing that has stayed down well, for the longest period of time, is cold milk and warm broth. But even those are taboo now. Oh, and I've gained 10 lbs. Good thing I read Carnie Wilson's book and expected that already. It is all fluids. I feel like Violet from Willy Wonka, you know, the one who chews the gum and then gets blown up like a balloon and is rolled away by the Oompa Loompas? That's me. I just want something that tastes good. Something that will stay down. No more liquid pain meds or barium, just...liquid, nutritious food that isn't sweet. Yuk. Any words of comfort would be appreciated. I know that I will get through this, and I don't want to get anyone down by my message. On the other hand, I want everyone to be armed with this knowledge as they are making this decision and are preparing for surgery. This is a possibility. Just stay strong, get your walks, surround yourself with positive, loving people, and realize that God will never leave you. Love, Chris 6 days post-op WISH Center Valley Medical Center, Renton
Morrisetta H.
on 10/12/04 4:16 am - Tacoma, WA
Christina, I will pray for your recovery. I know that the lord is in your presence and he will see you through this difficult time. I am pulling for you to get well real soon. Morrisetta
marjoe98446
on 10/12/04 4:16 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi Christina I so sorry you are going through this. You sound so good though. I swear to you I believe that the Dr's at the Wish Center are very good and caring and if Dr S thinks it swelling it will be just that and pretty soon you will start turning the corner. You have a great sense of humor and a upbeat personality I can tell and that is what is going to get you out of this set back and start you on your new road. I'm here in Tacoma but if i can help you with anything anything at all you e-mail me and I will help. I too was a self pay and had a panic attack the night before I was to go home and had to stay for an extra night at 1000.00 and worried like crazy, But really we are worth all the money it takes to get us happy and healthy. You can just do the best with paying a little each month if it comes to that . Well you keep being strong and let me know if I can help Mary Jo
ncarter11
on 10/12/04 4:17 am - Edmonds, WA
What a dear you are! How great is it that you posted such a detailed update in the midst of such difficulty?! You are strong! Your strength is evident in your writing and your attitude. I am sooo sad that things have taken this unexpected turn and that you are facing challenges in your recuperation. The good thing is that you *are* recuperating! Even tho it's agonizingly slow. I will pray, Chris, that your pipes unswell SOON! And that every hour you see some progress. I pray also that you are soon released from the hospital! Keep up your positive outlook and keep looking up! Keep us updated, as you can! Blessings and health, Nancy
Julia B.
on 10/12/04 4:52 am - Puyallup, WA
Hi Chris! I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time. I gained 10 pounds in the hospital too and loved the Wonka analogy. Sounds like you still have a good sense of humor. I hope that things improve quickly for you. You're in my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery. Sending happy healing vibes your way! Julia
Tammy _.
on 10/12/04 2:43 pm - Puyallup, WA
Yikes, poor baby, you have been put through the wringer!! I am so sorry to hear about all of the swelling issues.... I pray that things will improve for you soon. Thank you so much for writing to us from the hospital (very impressive). I feel so bad about your experience with the Upper GI. I know that each day will get better for you. Thank heavens for your mother being by your side during all of this. I read the letter she wrote to Sonya- she sounds like a lovely person. You are lucky. Stay positive and keep your chin up. We are all pulling for you here on OH. Tammy
tinktee
on 10/12/04 3:34 pm - Spanaway, WA
Hi Chris, you poor thing. I know our loving God will see you through all of this. I know you are surrounded by his loving army and the Lord hasn't brought you this far to leave you now. Keep the faith Chris and know that we are waiting for you to get home, you got to tell us newbies how to do the wl thing. God bless you and your loved ones. Tee
Laura V.
on 10/12/04 3:41 pm - Tacoma, WA
Chris, So sorry to hear that you are having a tough time. I will keep you in my prayers. It seems that everyone's experiences are so different. I have dealt with about a month of nausea. But that now seems to be getting better. Take Care and hang in there, Laura v
Andrea W.
on 10/13/04 7:56 am - Kent, WA
Thank You for the update! I am sorry to hear that things have gone the way they have!!! I am keeping you in my thoughts for a more speedy recovery!!!
catly
on 10/13/04 8:28 am - Everett, WA
Hi, Christina, I am so sorry you have had such a difficult time. Swelling can really be uncomfortable. I send blessings you way and hope you recover soon and can be back home. Thanks. Lauren
Most Active