Just under one month recovery

karenyt
on 10/11/04 8:20 am - Renton, WA
Hello All whether you be in recovery stages now or going through the tough part of waiting for surgery. Time flies so fast, even though sometimes the minutes themselves seem long, and I haven't given a new update on myself for a while. So here goes. I'll start with the good part first. Open RNY 09-15-2004 classic textbook case per my two surgeons at WISH Center, Dr. A and Dr. Strain. Stay at hospital was brief, Wednesday 8:00 surgery, walking hallways by 5:00 pm, home Friday evening. Pain medication = good!! My home recovery was greatly assisted by my loving husband who insisted I drink my fluids, proteins, pain medications, gave me heparin s****** day and made me walk several times a day with him, inside house and outside. All went well overall and I thought I was doing great. Then, the emotional side kicked in!! At my two week appointment with Dr. Strain he said everything physical was great but I seemed a little more emotionally anxious than they like at 2 weeks out. I was feeling very vulnerable, very anxious and not ready to face the world ALONE yet, so he suggested I not return to work for two more days plus the weekend, which was fine with me. I couldn't return to the office like that!! The next day, things definitely took a downturn and I had an anxiety attack (in my dentists office at least, so with medical assistance close by) which ended me up in the emergency room at Valley Hospital after an extended time with paramedics and ambulance. I've never ridden in an ambulance before but now I have!! Long and short story - I ended up with some xanax medication which helps immensely, I am back at work now (probably too soon but ) and am feeling much better. My nerves are still raw, I'm still scared about the foods and my future with foods, but I am sure I am not unique in this. Anyone else out there feeling scared too? Let me know so I won't feel so alone in this !! Karen Thompson
ncarter11
on 10/11/04 8:58 am - Edmonds, WA
I'm so glad you posted, Karen! It's so important to talk to one another! I know this must've been soooo hard. I'm thrilled to know that the xanax is working to curb your anxiety - well, at least most of it! I worry about my own abilities to make this surgery a success. I've failed so often, you know!? I'm looking forward to reading the responses to your post. Keep us updated, Karen! God bless! Nan
karenyt
on 10/11/04 9:28 am - Renton, WA
Hi Nancy! It is sooooo good to hear from someone else who is both thrilled about our choices and scared to fail!! We will succeed this time but it is scary to experience both success and failure, you know? I've tried every diet in the world before, well maybe not quite all of them but I do know I've tried and tried and tried more than my fair share out there and succeeded for short terms only!! I went on a medically sponsored liquid protein fast (like Optifast program) years ago, lost 100 pounds, felt great, got compliments from friends and strangers, and ate my way back up to more than I started with - that took only about a matter of days, it felt like!! This time I will succeed. We will succeed. Success is ours to choose. Any suggestions on how to ensure success would be greatly appreciated from all!! Karen Thompson 09-15-2004 30 pounds down
Hilda R.
on 10/11/04 12:55 pm - Bucoda, WA
Karen, First of all, Congrats on a smooth surgery. I too went through the Wish Center. I've been coming to this site for about 3 yrs now, and it seems everyone's experience is different. I still have the fear of failing.......again...... and maybe that's a good thing. As I remember, my first month was alot like yours in many ways, but I took a whole month off work, cuz I knew I would be dealing with emotional eruptions, and I needed to be able to focus on doing the things like getting enough water and protein in. Not being hungry -at all-, was probably the weirdest part for me. Funny, that was the whole idea of why I wanted the surgery. Enbrase the next 11 months or so, you're going to love the ride! Hilda
tinktee
on 10/12/04 1:55 am - Spanaway, WA
Hi Karen, I'm sorry to hear that you had an anxiety attack, that can be VERY scary. I went thru a time when I was having those attacks and at times thought I was going to die. This was when I was thin but I was depressed. Talking to a professional helped a great deal. You can come up with techniques to help cope before the attack comes on. I"m grateful that the panic attack is a thing of the past and I hope it will be fore you too. Take care and thanks again for sharring with us. Tee
Most Active