I'm So Excited

Chrissy P.
on 10/4/04 11:50 am - Federal Way, WA
Thursday it is! I am sure that everyone who has this surgery feels the same as me. I am so eager to start my new life, and I am savoring these last few days with family and friends. My friends have been so supportive of my decision and are genuinely happy for me. My parents are with me every step of the way. I am divorced, so I have no DH, but lots of close friends and someone in particular who cares about me and my health. I am so blessed and I thank God for his grace and mercy. I have cousins and aunts who are not supportive. They seem to be very judgmental and quick to disapprove of this because of the bad stories they see on the news. Interestingly, those who opposed to my surgery are both extremely skinny and morbidly obese - no in-between. One of them even has adult on-set diabetes, and he is one of the reasons that I want to have this surgery before that disease hits me. The disapproval seems to come from a complete lack of understanding, and, maybe, jealousy. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to show 'em! I already have my packing going for the hospital and I did all my shopping. Can anyone give me ideas as to what to bring to the hospital? What was helpful or not helpful for you? I want to thank everyone on this board. Your support, words, prayers, and advise have meant so much to me even though I rarely have time to indulge in lots of time on this board. I am sure that I will write again before my surgery, but thank you for your input right now on what I should take to the hospital and any last-minute advice y'all might have. Hugs, Chris
lilchickad
on 10/4/04 11:52 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi Chris! I bought Sugar Free Jello and Tomato Juice and some Propel (as I am not too hip on water) and ummmmmm some boullion *sp* cubes. I think that is it. I found the sugar free popsicles at Albertson's...they were 2.99 for a box of 12. I had the Dole Juice popsicles in my cart and put them back because I saw they did have some "natural" sugar in them, and I was not sure if they were okay or not. I'm sure they taste WAY better than the others, and I have a meeting with my patient advocate tomorrow, so will ask her about them. I will let you know for sure. So how are your nerves? I have almost talked myself out of the surgery a couple of times. Wondering if I had REALLY done everything I could to lose the weight on my own, and then I remember what I am like with dieting, and how it lasts two weeks, and then I quit again. It is just so scary to not have control for that 3-4 hours while you are in surgery...do ya know what I mean???? Anyway, I am excited, nervous, and all of that. I hope your surgery goes well. We will have a race to see who gets home from the hospital first :P I have forgotten are you having open or lap? I'm having open, as they are going to fix a hiatal hernia at the same time I have my bypass done. Take Care!!!!! Let me know how you are doing! Laura
sspev
on 10/4/04 1:27 pm - Seattle area (Everett), WA
Hi, Chris, I'm giving you a link to a portion of Nan's profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/profile.phtml?N=C1049748210#listreview She pre-planned and listed out everything she was taking to the hospital, and then after her surgery she reviewed the list, and rated what was essential, necessary, or superfluous. Hope that helps you! by the way, I'll keep you in my prayers for your surgery. Take care , Susan
Kimanne B
on 10/4/04 3:59 pm - Near The Emerald City, wa
I just wanna tell you Christina that you're in my prayers and I'll be thinking of you on your special day
imagrama
on 10/5/04 3:15 pm - Gig Harbor, WA
Chris, good luck with your surgery and just KNOW that all will be well. I packed my bag and only used a couple of things that I took. I used my slippers, chap stick, toothbrush and some toiletries. I didn't really have time for anything but sleeping or walking. Oh, I did take a small pillow to hold over my stomach while walking. Helps a lot. I also used the tongs I took to help reach when wiping after going to the bathroom. I only used them the first couple of days. The hospital actually had everything I needed except for those few things. Stay positive and remember that it's the first step of your new journey!!! Each day gets better and better. You'll do just fine. Sue
Most Active