What to tell a 4 year old

mary F.
on 10/2/04 6:16 am - gig harbor, WA
I am going in this Thursday for my surgery, what have others told their children prior to the surgery? My daughter is 4 and I am not sure what or how much to tell her. I do not want her to come visit until the NG tube is out. Any input would be much appreciated!
Julia B.
on 10/2/04 6:36 am - Puyallup, WA
I started talking to my 4 year old son, Joshua, a month before surgery. I explained what I was having done and that I would have a very large cut on my tummy that would be held together with staples. We had a lot of conversations about it and he loves telling everyone about my surgery. We also talked about how he needed to be careful of mommies tummy until it was healed. He came to see me several times in the hospital and was fascinated by all the hospital stuff and thrilled to see me. I think the whole situation gave him a feeling of great importance because his aunts, uncles, and grandparents all took turns keeping him over night. I'm 10 days post-op now and Joshua has been telling everyone how good he is at taking care of me. He loves to look at my staples and is always trying to pull up my shirt to show them off to other people (I'm trying to break him of that.) I was worried that if I tried to hide it from him that he would figure out that something was up and worry. I took a chance with being so open with him but I did it based on my son's personality and maturity level. I think you need to consider your child and how she might handle it. I just didn't want my son to be afraid. Good luck! Julia
Gerriann A.
on 10/2/04 11:31 am - Spokane, WA
My little guy came to see me. Ofcourse he was only 18 months at the time. I wonder why you are not having the Lap RNY I did not have a NG tube after surgery and wa able to go home in 3 days. Just wondering? -Gerriann Lap RNY May 14, 2004 112 pounds gone forever!
mary F.
on 10/2/04 12:55 pm - gig harbor, WA
I have had previous abd surgery and told I was not a good candidate for lap rny, so will have an open with Dr Thirlby at Virginia Mason and the norm is an NG and an epidural and a 5 dal length of stay,but I am hoping for a shorter length of stay!
Most Active