Internal Hernia or also SMAS?

~ K D in WA
on 9/27/04 10:24 am - Eastern, WA
Has anyone here had either of these complications? If so how were you dxed? I am almost 2 years out, been dealing with intermittant abdominal pain for several months, has intensified in the past two or three months. This pain sends me to ER or urgent care center 1 or 2 times a month. Have had lots of tests, they can find nothing so far. Saw my bariatric doc in June who said "I don't doubt you are having this pain, but there are no clear cut reasons for it". I have a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled for mid October. I am literally at the point of not being able to take it anymore. Moving closer to Spokane and wondering if a bariatric doc there could assist me any? I did have a surgical referral for a suspected umbilical hernia...my PCP had "dxed" it, but it was scar tissue according to the surgeon. The general surgeon was sympathetic to my situation and postulated that I was having periodic small bowel blockages which were resolving on their own (although very painful!!!) Anyway, in digging around for info, I learned about internal hernia and also superior mesenteric artery syndrome. Was just wondering if anyone here has had any real life experience with either? At any rate, I plan on seeing another doc asap. Thanks, ~KD in WA
L M.
on 9/27/04 12:21 pm
Hi KD, I'm no doctor and I haven't even had my surgery yet (I'm going to get the lap-band), so I'm not sure how much help this will be to you, but I wanted to throw it out there because when my PCP told me about it 5 years ago, I was surprised. She said I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome/spastic colon. You probably know a lot more about complications that can arise after WLS than I do (sounds like you know quite a *****ave you considered that it might be irritable bowel syndrome? It may show itself differently in patients who have had WLS. The symptoms I was having were awful, terrible, stabbing stomach pains (worse than child labor) that struck at like 2am when I was dead asleep and doubled me over. Often, they would lead to diarrhea for a few hours throughout the night. Then in the morning, it was like nothing happened. I'd go for a few weeks without anything and then boom, another "episode". For a long time, other docs said there was nothing they could find. I endured barium xrays, ultrasounds, and a sigmoidoscopy (long snakey thing finding its way through your intestines via the "back door"). No one found anything. When I saw a new doc, she asked if I was under any stress. I said no more than usual... apparently, this is how I was dealing with stress. Now that I'm conscious of it, it doesn't affect me anywhere near as badly as it used to. I recognize it when it comes on and try to think about what might be bugging me. Perhaps you're suffering something similar that is manifesting itself differently/more severely because of your WLS. (I assume you had an RNY?) Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there in case the docs are assuming that every stomach issue is related to WLS surgery. Could be that it isn't. Whatever is going on with you, I hope you figure it out soon and get some relief. Lesann
Tammy _.
on 9/27/04 12:32 pm - Puyallup, WA
Hey KD, have you already had your gall bladder removed??? I guess your doctors would have already ruled that possibility out..... I sure hope that you get some answers and some relief! Good luck, Tammy
Most Active