Still looking for a surgeon

Debadoh
on 9/23/04 1:05 pm - Sumner, WA
I finally had my consult this week with Dr. Srikanth's nurse practitioner. I'm not completely sold on this practice as yet. I was a bit taken aback when she came in, sat down and said. "Ok, which procedure do you want? I need to know so I can send it to your insurance." I was shocked simply because I figured this would be at least a 50% clinical, 50% personal preference decision. I felt like I was telling her how to cut my HAIR! I obviously didn't have an answer to this so she said "well, I can send it in for both but they might not like it. I guess you have time to decide." I sat through their general seminar, found out the skinny on the procedures and figured if I filled out the 20 page H&P they could apply some of that info and offer up at least a list of my best options. Apparently not. Am I asking too much? Anyone else have a similar experience? Thanks for the input
Tammy _.
on 9/23/04 1:37 pm - Puyallup, WA
Hi Deborah, My advice is to listen to that little voice in your head and go to a few consultations with different surgeons and THEN make your decision. I wish you the best of luck! Tammy
lilchickad
on 9/23/04 1:41 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi Deborah! I live in the same general area you do (Bonney Lake/Sumner), and I am seeing Dr. Oh. His office in his Federal Way. Their "seminars" are now free and they are EXTREMELY informative. He does allow you to make the decision on what surgery you want, but only after he has gone through every single option along with complications. I actually wanted the open Distal...but he recommended the medial/proximal to me, as I did not have as much weight to lose as sometimes people do...I need to lose 90 pounds. I chose to do the medial, which he said was fine. He basically will "customize" your surgery...but you could learn more about this at any of his seminars. I am scheduled to have surgery October 7th. Once my surgery was approved, they began scheduling my surgery the very next day. The office staff there is extremely pleasant (although sometimes seem a little disorganized), but having worked in medical offices for literally 15+ years, that is not surprising. There is so much to deal with at this point, especially with the kinds of surgeries he does. Anyway, I will quit babbling, but if you have any questions...feel free to email me with any other questions you might have! Good luck in this new chapter of your life!!! Always, Laura P.S. their Website is www.ohtobethin.com
pat9047
on 9/24/04 12:21 am - CO
RUN don't just walk away from this surgeon. Go with the other one (DR OH). Next he might ask you to perform your own procedure.
Amanda P.
on 9/24/04 6:21 am - Wa
Just to let you know, Dr Oh is my surgeon, and Dr.Srikanth was his assistant with my surgery. They usually assisist each other in their surgeries.
MarinaS
on 9/24/04 4:23 am - Small Town, WA
I highly recommend Dr. Jeffery Hunter at the Virginia Mason Medical Center at Federal Way.
Amanda P.
on 9/24/04 6:47 am - Wa
Deborah, You should have gone through the seminar before your consult. Dr. Oh wouldnt set up a consult till we attended his seminar. But most surgeons do leave it up to you on what type of procedure you want. They provide you with all the info, and I would hope you did much research on your own before you went for your consult. Dr. Srikanth is an excellent surgeon, very warm and caring, He works with both Dr. Oh and Dr. Fox wich are also 2 EXCELLENT surgeons. They are all very strict with after care, which me being post-op I cant tell you how great it is. I know step by step what vitimans and how much protien, and just know exactly what to do. If I have a question I can call our patient advocate and get it answered. Just my opinion of course, but maybe your moving a little to quickly. Do more research, go to another seminar. You should have a very good Idea of what procedure you want when you go for your consult. Anyway, I wish you all the best with your quest for surgery. Take care ........Amanda
Chrissy P.
on 9/24/04 6:54 am - Federal Way, WA
Check out the WISH Center in Renton, WA. They are extremely thorough and strict, and they really care about you and want you to succeed. You can go to www.wishcenter.org. I have also heard very good things for weeks about Dr. Oh in Federal Way. Go with your gut. Good luck to you!
Andrea W.
on 9/24/04 10:20 am - Kent, WA
I still strongly suggest the Northwest Center for Weight Management at St. Francis Hospital in Federal Way! There is a free seminar about the different types of surgery, a free consultation with Janelle or Nora where they discuss with you your many options and what you have in mind and a list of Doctors (which I recommend Dr. Hunter). There is also a nutritionist and psyc. on staff to help with any insurance criteria! I could go on for days about how wonderful they are. Infact I was in there today and they remembered that my mom had wls surgery last monday and were inquiring about her...... How nice is it that they remember that!!! They absolutely know their stuff!! Good luck!!!!
Most Active