Tomorrow is my BIG day!!

karenyt
on 9/14/04 10:46 am - Renton, WA
Tomorrow is my Open RNY -09-15-2004 at the WISH center, Renton, WA. Wow ... it feels like its been a long time coming with all the medical tests, appointments, exercise, diet, telling people and seeing their reaction ... but now even as I write this I am hard-pressed to really believe that my day is Tomorrow!! What reminds me of this for sure is the nauseating drink I had at 1:00 and get to have again at 6:00 this evening of the magnesium citrate - tastes horrible, too sweet and icky, thought I was going to lose it, but is working some now. I like to be an achiever and I hope my system is nice and clean for tomorrow's big show ... wouldn't want to mess up anyone's pictures!! I was originally scheduled for 5:30 arrival at Valley Medical with surgery at 8:00am - then two weeks ago they called and bumped me back to arrival at 8:30 and 11:00 surgery. Sounded more realistic, made better plans of how to handle day for my 10 year old daughter who will be in school during surgery, thought that part was all set. Then, late this afternoon I got a call from the Wish center and I was scared they were cancelling or delaying surgery. I was all prepared to tell them they couldn't do that because I'd already started the obnoxious drink routine and that wouldn't be fair ... but instead they rescheduled my surgery back to the early time so I have to be at hospital at 5:45 with surgery at 8:00 am!! Now we go back to what to do at that unearthly early hour of the morning with our 10 year old daughter!! She wants to go to the hospital and skip school; we probably will take her to the hospital with us and have somebody come pick her up for school or my husband will have to leave me just before going into surgery to take her to school!! Seems like a hassle now, but compared to the medical tests and wait I've already had, it is all going to work out, I'm sure!! By this time tomorrow, I'll be out of surgery, out of recovery, back in my own room and probably have been forced to walk by the nurses. That's what the doctor says anyway!! Suggestions, thoughts, prayers, recommendations, hopes, dreams, oh yeah we all have them ... I'd love to spend part of this last pre-op evening hearing from some of you out there. Take care and I'll be back soon!! Karen Thompson Open RNY 09-15-2004 WISH Center, Renton, WA
Cori T.
on 9/14/04 11:35 am - Neah Bay, WA
Best wishes for everything Karen! Hope to hear about your progress soon!
Hilda R.
on 9/14/04 11:53 am - Bucoda, WA
Congratulations Karen! Just think, one more wake up and you'll be on the other side. I was a Wish Center patient also and I think they're great. Do you have Dr. A? He was wonderful..... I also think you're getting the worst part of this whole thing out of the way tonight. The drink - disgard part was awful for me, but all worth it. I'm a yr. out and down 134#s, and am sooooo glad I did this. Just remember to walk, walk, walk...And as for The Valley Medical Center, you'll have to check out the sitting garden off the Bariatric unit.....It was my favorite place to be, very tranquil and calming. And the Nurses were so helpful and kind. As for the situation with your daughter and school, is there any family member who could help you out? Or maybe you should let her skip. You'll be in my thoughts tommorrow for a smooth event. May your journey begin !!!! Hilda
Tanja Y
on 9/14/04 12:58 pm - Wahiawa, HI
Best wishes and make sure you keep us updated on how you're doing. You'll be a loser soon! LOL ~Tanja
Rachael E.
on 9/14/04 1:22 pm
Before you know it you'll be at home and feeling GREAT! I will be thinking about you tomorrow...good luck, you'll do great! Rachael
sspev
on 9/14/04 2:21 pm - Seattle area (Everett), WA
You are in my prayers. Concerned for your daughter, as well. God has orchestrated this schedule especially for you and your family. If she goes early in the morning to the hospital with you, that will be ok. She probably wouldn't have much of a good day at school, anyway, because she'd be thinking about you all the time, and wondering what was going on. At 10, she's old enough to understand some things, and young enough to also have unexplained fears about the things she doesn't understand and can't visualize. From what I know, the WISH center is great -- by tomorrow afternoon you can walk out to the sitting garden that Hilda told us about! Peace to you, our prayers are with you, and the medical staff, as well. Susan
amanda B.
on 9/14/04 3:06 pm - renton, WA
HI Neighbor!! I am soo excited for you. I too had my surgery first thing in the morning. I got there early and they just got started right away. You will be great . As far as your child, I had my hubby take me to the hospital and then when I went into surgery go back to the house and get kids off and running for the day. School will keep her mind off what is happening to you and by the time she is out of school you will be up and walking!! When you start walking a little distance, I encourage you to take the walk down the hall to the healing garden, even if it is raining the smell of the rosemary and euclaliptis (sp?) will truly make you feel great. Make sure they give you something to sleep at night!! Ambien, something! Say hello to Carolann and Michael and all the other great nurses there. You will be outstanding!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers !! Amanda Briggs
RichardWash
on 9/14/04 4:26 pm
- Good luck girl, Dont forget the chapstick.... and throat spray... gosh i wish i had those instead of having to wait many hours for it lol.
Most Active