New here - need help!

Amy M.
on 9/2/04 6:30 am - Anacortes, WA
Hi there everyone, I finally made the decision earlier this week to pursue WLS as my last resort for getting my health under control. My primary motivation is my beautiful 5-month-old son...he deserves a better mother than this! I'm so confused by everything, but I'm focusing on my first step toward surgery: getting the referral to a surgeon from my primary care physician. I'm insured through TriCare Prime, and my husband is active duty navy. I was surprised to find that Tricare even covers WLS! When I found that out, I stared at a wall for an hour processing the idea that WLS might be a reality for me. I'm 30 years old, and my BMI is 42.6, so I definitely fit the profile I would be so pleased with any help anyone can offer, especially advice on what to say or do to get my primary physician on board. What do I do if he tells me no or wants me to do the whole "diet and exercise" routine? I'm soooo scared right now. I'm not scared of the surgery at all. I'm scared that it won't happen! I honestly don't know what I'll do if this process ends in denial. I think I would just curl up in a big fat heap and die... Ok, enough of my novel. Thanks so much to anyone who can point me in the right direction God Bless all of you!!!
pat9047
on 9/2/04 6:41 am - CO
Hi Amy. Your doctor might ask you for a 6 month or more supervised diet. It really depends on what your plan requires. If for some reason he does not refer you for this surgery then you can always get a second opinion. Continue to minitor the chat rooms/message boards and keep researching WLS. Make sure you can live with the lifetime commitment. I hope that you can and wish you success in getting your referal.
ncarter11
on 9/2/04 9:08 am - Edmonds, WA
Hi & Welcome! Tricare does not require a 6 month supervised diet. The criteria is either 100lb overweight with one or more comorbidities or 200% of ideal body weight. Doctors might have their own criteria to meet too. Mine, Dr Weber, did not require a supervised diet. My husband is retired and Tricare is my secondary insurer so navigating the system was a little different for me. I got approved with a BMI of 47.2 and comorbidities hypothyroidism and vericose veins. I'm not sure on which criteria they approved me. Hope this helps. Blessings, Nan
Tanja Y
on 9/2/04 1:25 pm - Wahiawa, HI
I would just ask at your next appie about the surgery. Each doctor will react differently, but I seriously doubt that he'll (or she'll) refuse to give you a referral. I didn't even get to ask my doctor, he beat me to it. Guess he figured where our conversation was going and before I even left his office he had already entered my referral into the computer! I had no problems with Tri-Care except the long wait at our MTF. I could have done it off-post and gotten the surgery faster, but I really wanted to have the surgery at this hospital, I trusted them and the surgeon. ~Tanja
Beckye R.
on 9/3/04 3:42 pm - Everett, WA
Amy, my doctor was also skeptical when I first approached her about Lap-Band WLS. But I was prepared! I had already done lots of research, had met with my surgeon (Dr. Montgomery) and had chosen a few well-written reports and brochures for her to read. She did more research on her own, and by the time I had my next visit, she was a believer. I'm not sure which method you're interested in, but since the Lap-Band is somewhat newer and less well-known, it might take a little more convincing. On the other hand, it is also less risky and less invasive than gastric bypass. No matter which surgery fits you best, your PCP can be your best ally if you enlist him in your cause.
Carla A.
on 9/7/04 6:07 am - Burlington, WA
Amy.. If you can get your Dr to give you a referral I just wanted you to know that the Skagit Valley hospital in Mt Vernon is on board with WLS and you can more than likely go there to have surgery done. I ended up in the emergency room there because I had several pills I stupidly took at one time get stuck exiting my new stomach. VERY PAINFUL experience, anyway, the WLS surgeon there was wonderful to me. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name but, it was a female so she shouldn't be hard to identify. Even though I live in Burlington I chose a surgeon in Federal Way that I feel was worth the distance I have to drive. That was before I knew there was one locally. I wanted LAP RNY which I am not sure they do anyway. Good luck on your journey!! Carla 9DEC04 333/215/150
Most Active