Need recommendation for dietician, also for Dr and OB around Seattle/Tacoma

wls_opal
on 8/27/04 5:01 am - Spanaway, WA
Hello everyone. My name is Evonne and I am almost exactly one year post op. I had open RNY 8/29/03, but went out of town as my insurance did not cover it. Everything has gone very well for me - at eight months post op I was almost at goal. I then (happily) discovered that I was pregnant. My PCP had been handling all my post op care. To shorten the story, I have found out that I am very anemic and my PCP has absolutely no knowledge of post op nutrition or labs. I was referred to a dietician who was also totally clueless. Also, the obstetrician I have been seeing not only has no clue about post RNY patients, she and her staff have also lost my trust due to treating some potentially serious symptoms with disregard. When I first spoke to all of these medical professionals, they all assured me that they had dealt with RNY patients and were familiar with our unique needs. Obviously that was not true. So basically, I need to find replacements for all of the medical professionals I have been using. Most importantly, I need to find someone who can provide some nutritional counseling and I was hoping someone on here might be able to recommend someone. Also, if you know of a doctor or surgeon who you could recommend who is knowledgeable about post RNY patients, that would be very helpful. And finally, if anyone knows of an obstetrician or midwife who has dealt with a post RNY pregnancy, I would appreciate it. I live in Burien but work in Tacoma so it would be helpful if they were located in that area. Thank you in advance to anyone who has taken the time to read this, I appreciate your time even if you don't have anyone you can recommend.
Debadoh
on 8/28/04 9:16 am - Sumner, WA
I've not had surgery yet, but I visited Dr. Fox's seminar in Tacoma and they mentione that they will take on follow up for other patients and they stress heavily supplements and nutrition education. They even spoke specifically to pregnancy and the extra nutrition required. Their website is ABOUTMSO.COM.
Andrea W.
on 8/28/04 9:54 am - Kent, WA
I would try the Northwest Center for Weight Management at St. Francis Hospitals Medical Office Building in Federal Way - 1-800-823-6525. I have been going through them for all of my 'insurance requirements' and they have been EXCELLENT!! Also, the dietician that they have on staff - Holly Martindale - is AWESOME.......She of course is a little skinny thing, but has had three members of her family go through wls and so she really is familiar with the surgery and all that goes along with it!!!! I can't say enough good things about the people there!! I am not sure of their policies of post op care beings you have already had surgery, but it certainly would be worth looking into.....if nothing else they would be able to give you the names of someone who IS familiar with wls!!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Andrea
Most Active