WAY OFF SUBJECT!!!

Chanise D.
on 8/26/04 3:11 pm - Lakewood, WA
I have a 21 months old little girl with the vocabulary of a 3 year old (as said by her PEDI).... BUT I can't get her to potty consitantly.....ANY ADVICE.....HELP SISTERS (and Brother.....LOL)... I am ready to fly my mom in to take over...GRANDMA POWER
JustHat
on 8/26/04 3:25 pm - NM
I would suggest not pushing it. She will do it when she is ready, not when your ready. And, she really isn't all that old. Most kids don't PT until after they are two. Pottying is one of the few things that a child had complete control over. I know diapers are expensive, but if you pu**** could turn into a power struggle and you don't want that. OTOH, I potty trained a couple of my kids by letting them go nude for a few days. This method has a name, but I can't seem to remember it. I know that a carpet shampooer is mentioned in the name. Rewards also work. Those new fancy undies are really cool. But, only big girls that don't wear diapers get to wear them. Mostly, give her the option but don't let her know that it matters all that much to you. Oh, and when she does use the bathroom, make a huge deal out of it. We would all stand around and clap for which ever child it was that used the potty. Sometimes that is reward enough. And, just one more thing. Are you using pull ups? I hate pull ups. I think they were the worst thing I ever tried when it came to potty training. They look cool. They are like underwear. But, since they are still a diaper, there isn't any reason not to go in them. Good luck.
dianne k
on 8/26/04 3:36 pm - Coeur d'Alene, ID
I used a book called "potty training in a day" Found it in a used book store. It worked really well with both of my kids. good luck dianne
Chanise D.
on 8/26/04 3:52 pm - Lakewood, WA
Thanks...I'll check out some book consignment store this weekend!!
Chanise D.
on 8/26/04 3:51 pm - Lakewood, WA
No...NO Pull up.....2x the cost of diapers ands 2x less in the pack...I have tried the nude thing and I had puppy puddles all over the house....Could not even get mad when she looked at me and said.."I pee pee potty mommy"... But I think I'll wait another 3 months and try again....
sassy
on 8/26/04 4:13 pm - Kaiserslautern Military Community, Germany, XX
when kaylee and i first started this escapade, it was difficult getting her to make it to the poddy, so i got 2 potty chairs, one in her room and one in the living room, i know it sounds gross, but you have to get the child in the mind frame of remembering when it is time, and how to recognize the time. at first i would make her sit on the potty like once every half hour for like three minutes, just to get her in the habit. i did the nude thing, and the fancy panties (strawberry shortcake is her fave.) when she finally did go in the potty, she thought she was in trouble for going in the potty. i finally got to the point where i would make her clean up the pee in the floor (i have hardwood) and i told her it was naughty and that naughty girls get spankings.... worked like a charm. when she did go, she got major candy supplied to her, and big hugs and kisses and a call to mamaw. after that, if she peed she got 1 candy, if she pooped she got 3. jelly beans really stretch when they are potty candy. after you get her in the habit of visiting the potty, you can move it farther and farther, until it ends up in the bathroom. she sleeps in big girl panties at night time now, and the only time we have pull ups is if she in going to be in the car a while, or there was an accident while out. she spilled soda in her lap the other day at a restaurant and the pull ups came in handy. anyways, this is my story... hope you can find something helpful from it. good luck!
Kimanne B
on 8/26/04 5:46 pm - Near The Emerald City, wa
*lol* Renee, I did the candy reward thing too. I started my daughter off by buying a potty and putting it right next to our "big potty." I told her it was her very own Everytime I went (and in between at times) I took her in and asked if she had to go Sometimes she did, sometimes she didn't. I let her decide, I didn't force her. I told her that when she was finally able to go potty in her potty and not in her pullups, that she would get pretty "big girl" panties Everytime she pottied I rewarded her with a few m & m's along with TONSSSSSSSSS of praises and hugs and kisses I made going potty a really big deal! She was potty trained by 24months and only pee'd the bed once. I'm sooooooo blessed!
pat9047
on 8/27/04 12:11 am - CO
When my son was little I started timing when he would go. I started taking him into the bathroom around that time. I also would take him every hour after he had a bottle or a cup. Once he realized how nice it was to have dry diapers (I used cloth only) he would let me know when he had to go.
Most Active