Stricture no more

JustHat
on 8/23/04 3:30 pm - NM
My appointment went well today. We arrived on time only to be told that I didn't have an appointment. The lady was really friendly and called upstairs to see what was up. They didn't have me in their books either but I was on the board. So, I checked in and went up stairs. I really like this doc. He took time to talk to me when we ran into eachother in the halls. When I got to my room, I did the usual and asked the nurse to numb the area before putting in the IV if she picked any vein other than the one that doesn't hurt with an IV. She said the down side of numbing the area was that vein might hide. I stood firm and told her that having to do a little extra hunting was better than listening to me whine big time. I am such a baby about IVs. She said she would try the vein that I suggested and didn't need numbing first. I have to admit this was the most painfree IV I have ever had. The woman has magic finger. Other stuff happened and then it was time to gargle with nasty numbing stuff. Instead of going as long as I could like last week, she counted to ten and then had me swallow. The result was that I wasn't completely numb. Although, it wasn't too bad. But, I could feel the scope in spots. When the doc arrived, I reminded him that the meds they use don't do the trick unles they give me a lot of them. He said he remembered and filled me up. This made me like him even more. Again, I remember all that went on during the scoping. The opening to my stoma was 8 mm. We were going to try and open it up to 12 mm like Dr. Weber wanted. But, he had to stop at 11 mm. They were afraid to pu**** any further. I can live with an 11. I was then sent off to the recovery room. Immediately, my oxygen level dropped into the 80s. So, I was put on O2. Even on O2, I was still registering a 91 and 92. Bummer. We waited and waited for it to come up so I could try room air. Finally, we decided to try me out in the chair instead of the bed. I stopped by the bathroom on the way and had a firm talk with my lungs and blood. It didn't do much good but at least I was scoring a 92 on room air. During this time, the doc's next patient arrived and was placed in the bed next to me. Finally, my O2 levels came up. But, my blood pressure dropped into something over 53. Bummer. I was now being held up by the blood pressure being too low. During all of this, my pulse spiked to 137 and alarms went off. This is just one of those things that happens with my heart, so I wasn't worried. I told them that I must have been moving my hand around or something and it was a false ready. (I really wanted to go home.) It was dropping back down. At this time, the woman in the next bed says she is ready to go home. The nurse checked on her and said she was. I couldn't help it. I called over to her and the nurse and told them that I was first and no one was leaving until I did. BTW, she made it out just before I did even though I threatened to trip her. Finally, my blood pressure went back up to something over 58 and they said I could leave. We unplugged everything before anything else could go down and I was on my way. Today and this last week, I have been feeling much better. I am still really tired, but every day is better than the last. I was able to get most of the laundry done yesterday. That was a big deal even before my surgery. Let's hope that this day brings a chapter to an end.
Kimanne B
on 8/23/04 4:24 pm - Near The Emerald City, wa
Yay! I'm so glad you are feeling better. I had forgotten they were going to stretch your stoma or whatever its called. So is that all the stretching it will need? Hopefully they will leave you alone for awhile and let you heal in peace *lol* And oh girlllllllllllll I totally hear you on the laundry... its only me and my daughter but it seems like a never ending battle. Anyway, keep us posted on your progress and I'll keep ya in my prayers! XoXo- Kimanne
sassy
on 8/23/04 7:32 pm - Kaiserslautern Military Community, Germany, XX
laundry and dishes... there is always both to do!!! and i have learned to hate them both lol i will clean house all day long but i hate doing laundry and dishes!!!
sassy
on 8/23/04 7:37 pm - Kaiserslautern Military Community, Germany, XX
thanks for the post, i was wondering about how it was going with you today, i even called thinking you would already be home, but then i remembered it would probably be a while lol i am glad to hear that you are feeling better, and you are right about the next day better than the last. if you need anything, please call me. i am always home, just normally on here if you dont get the machine after 4 rings. take care! (((((super big web hugs)))))
ncarter11
on 8/24/04 12:08 am - Edmonds, WA
Thanks again for all the juicy details, Hat! I'm glad to know all went well -- um, except for the O2 and BP issues. Glad the procedure was a success and that you were blessed with a good doc and IV person! Yeah!! Is there any follow up to the procedure? I LOLed at the threat to trip the lady in the next bed! Very funny! Have a great day!! Nan
lightlyspice
on 8/24/04 4:22 am - Oak Grove, KY
Hi Hat, We woman are such care takers. I am glad everything is going well. You gave me a scare for a while there. I have been following your recovery all the way, just not posting. You continue to concentrate on healing. I know it is a magical word, but try to REST too.
Cori T.
on 8/24/04 12:15 pm - Neah Bay, WA
Glad your stretching is over and done with! That'll be on my list of questions w/Dr. Weber on Thu. To ask about after care, emergencies etc... I leave tomorrow to go to the "other side of the pond" and my appt. is on Thu at 1:30 then I do the hospital thingy at Steven's right after.
karenyt
on 8/24/04 2:07 pm - Renton, WA
Glad your stretching went well!! 11, 12 who'll ever know the difference? Only your stoma knows for sure!! Ha! Ha! Take care, keep healing and keep writing. We all enjoy hearing from you and how you're doing. As for me, my pre-op yesterday went fine and I am scheduled for RNY Open 09-15-2004 at WISH Center, WA. I'm nervous, excited, nervous and about to puke part of the time...but I am a brave person and I need this!! Again, glad you stretched your way to happiness!! Karen Thompson Open RNY 09-15-2004 WISH Center, WA
Most Active