eight weeks out

catly
on 8/18/04 10:33 pm - Everett, WA
8 weeks out today Hi, I am 8 weeks out today! I can't believe it. I remember being so scared before the surgery and then confused for a few days and then being home and finally being able to sleep in my own bed! I seem to be doing okay with the food side of things, though it seems that sometimes I can eat quite a bit of soft food, compared to more solid food that actually fills my pouch. I am unable to eat bread of any kind or anything else that hard or dry. I have had problems getting in the liquids and at first was not getting enough and my skin was really drying out. I finally figured out that if I take a swig of liquid into my mouth, and then swallow tiny swallows at a time, this seems to work better for me. Just this week I've been able to get more normal-sized swallows down. One of my greatest problems has been focusing on what I am doing at meal-time, without distractions. I'm constantly reacting to something on the radio or tv; petting the cats, or talking to someone and then I suddenly am in trouble for not chewing enough or swallowing too big a bite. I need to work on giving my meal-time full attention so I won't goof as much until this becomes more natural. I have lost 40 pounds and I know others have lost more than that, but I have not been as good about the exercise part of things mostly from being so tired whenever I exert myself much. I walked a lot over the weekend and did fine and was so proud of myself only to crash Sunday evening and sleep most of Monday away. It is hard for me to keep that up every day. I still need to work on this. One good thing I am proud of:I have left the 300's hopefully forever! Yea! Hope the rest of you are doing okay. I have a few down times, but mostly am doing fine. Thanks. LM "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
ncarter11
on 8/19/04 2:59 am - Edmonds, WA
Lauren! Thank you so much for updating us all on your progress. I am thrilled for you! Congrats on your weight loss and for successfully negotiating the first 8 weeks! Kudos! Thanks for sharing the details of swallowing and distraction. The distraction thing is a big one that I am worried about myself. I should start practicing, now, eh? God bless! Nan
tinktee
on 8/19/04 6:03 am - Spanaway, WA
Hi there Lauren, hey CONGRATS on your 40 lbs WOW WEEEEEE! I want to thank you for taking the time to explain the chewing factor and distractions that cause you to have some problems. I try to practice chewing before surgery and its hard to remember, smaller bites keep chewing. ect...Although you sound very positive and happy to be on the losing side. Please continue to share, Ok? Tee
Kimanne B
on 8/19/04 7:59 am - Near The Emerald City, wa
Hi Lauren! Congrats on the weightloss! I will keep you in my prayers hun, you're doing just fine! You went thru major surgery, so you will have periods of down time, its perfectly normal I think. Keep up the good work! Glad to hear you're doing great Kimanne
Tanja Y
on 8/19/04 10:27 am - Wahiawa, HI
Sounds like you're doing good Lauren. Keep up the good work! I understand the tiredness, yesterday I was feeling all energized and cleaned and scrubbed the living room and a few hours later I fell asleep on the couch watching a movie. I crashed so hard! I reminded myself of my almost 3 year old daughter, one minute awake and the next sound asleep. ~Tanja
karenyt
on 8/19/04 1:03 pm - Renton, WA
Wow and Congratulations Lauren!! Your post was very timely for me as I have my pre-op appointment next week and can use all the reassurance that this is possible that I can get!! Keep up the swallowing, eating soft foods and all the rest as you are having good success. Are you feeling good too? Take care and keep posting. God Bless. Karen Thompson RNY Open 09-15-2004
Most Active