Medical records help!

Pamela C.
on 8/9/04 1:35 pm - Sedro Woolley, WA
Can anyone help me regarding access to one's medical records? Is it possible for me to go through my own records so I can mark specific sections of the doctor's notes that I want copied showing my weight loss efforts? And then have them copy the RIGHT notes? I'm trying to get my 1st appeal together showing 6 mos. of medically supervised weight loss. I met the medical need part easily as in addition to having a BMI of 61.3, I also have several comorbidities. I already asked for and received a miss mash of copies (some that I certainly didn't need) of my medical records. However, several very important notes were left out regarding my sleep apnea, medications my physician(s) prescribed (Orlistat/Xenical and Meridia) for weight loss, and a minor surgery I had recently (I wanted to show I survived it fine!) I'd appreciate any words of wisdom you might offer. Thanks, pam
Kimanne B
on 8/9/04 6:11 pm - Near The Emerald City, wa
Hi Pam! I don't know if this will help. I can only tell you what worked for me. I've had three back surgeries so far... two by the same doctor, one by another doctor because I moved. The original Doctor, who did the same two, had told me during a post op visit that I had arthiritis in my back, yet he neglected to put it in the report. I called his office, he's in Montana, I'm in WA now... I wanted to see if he could just add it into his report. Well, I was told that he needed to see me again in his office to make the change. Grrr... it wasn't my fault HE'S the one who left it out! LOL, but what are ya' gonna do, I needed the documentation. Well, when I went back to Montana on vacation, I just included a visit to his office. It was scheduled as a regular office visit. I'm not sure, I'm sure every Doctor's office is different. Hope this helps in some way. It might just be as simple as an office visit. Hopefully yall are in the same state! Love God, Kimanne
latzylove
on 8/10/04 2:17 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi Pam, I know at the Medical office I work at you can request a copy of your whole chart or specific sections.Explain to them that you need specific things. It might just be easier to request a copy of the whole chart and go through it yourself.You might have to sign a release and pay a fee but it's better than getting the run around. Just speak to a supervisor (in the medical records dept) and see what they can do. If it is a small office sometimes just explaining to the nurse or receptionist might work.Good luck.
Most Active