Richard Washington

Kimanne B
on 7/30/04 3:06 pm - Near The Emerald City, wa
Hey Richard, I am seeing Dr. Thirlby, would you or anyone else that has had Dr. Thirlby be willing to give a synopsis of how your journey was? From the initial contact all the way thru to being released from Virginia Mason Hospital?? I'd really love to hear all about it But whatever you feel like sharing, I'll be thankful for! God Bless, Kimanne
RichardWash
on 7/31/04 12:49 pm
- First I had a Consultation, talked to Richard thirlby and his assistant about what surgery we will do and submitting it to insurance etc. He explained everything and the risks and that my surgery would be a open RNY. Then I had some tests done and a sleep study scheduled, after that insurance was approved asap and another appointment was done for bloodwork and other tests... that was in the time frame of 2 months, I got a date on the day of second appt after sleep study, about 1 month after that appt... about a week before surgery I had preop tests (EKG, ultrasound etc) then had surgery. - Between Thirlby appointments I 2 nutrionlist appointments, recently i had my third and final one. - I had a epidural post surgery, so my pain was between 1-3 the entire time and only a few muscle spasms for laying down on my back for so long, the nurses were A+++ very very helpful. First Day they took the tube out of my nose that went to my stomach, and second day took out the decathiter(sp?) and I was walking around no problem... still had epidural in, I couldnt eat anything for 2 days just something to moisten my mouth and chapstick( you will need it) 3rd day I got liquids (cranberry juice, broth, ensure) and could drink 30cc every 15 minutes on the dot... when i started liquids they also took the IV out. - After walking alot, and breathing/coughing exercises They let me out on the morning of the fourth day with a abdominal binder... when i got home I lived on Cream of wheat with enriched milk and protein powder (TONS of IRON and protein) and recovered really fast... and I lose ALOT of weight every day now! Exercising over a hour a day and eating 100 grams of protein and drinking over 80oz of water a day!
Kimanne B
on 7/31/04 2:20 pm - Near The Emerald City, wa
Thank you thank you thank you for describing what you went thru for me!!! I know that took some time to write and I really appreciate it ((HUGS)) I am so excited! It sounds like your surgery went really smooth! Hey, what is an abdominal binder? And did you have someone to take care of you or help you when you got home?? I have a 16 year and don't know how attentive she will be LOL Thanks again Richard!
Cathie H.
on 8/1/04 11:44 pm - Renton, WA
I had Dr Thrilby in May 2002. Richard described the routine exactly the way mine happened. I am over 2 years post op and have lost 300#. I too exercise everyday and have had no complications. A binder is like a girdle. You will wear this for several weeks after surgery. They will explain that you in the hosptial. Make sure you wear. I helps with the healing.. Good luck. You are in good hands.
Most Active