Need help

Matt D.
on 7/28/04 9:53 am - Port Orchard, WA
Hello my name is Matt I' am a 38 yr old male, I have been overweight most of my life except for a short time when I was 19. I lost over a 100 lbs and kept it of for about 3 years. However over the course of 6 years I gained all of the weight back and for the past 13 years I have lost some weight and then gained it back I stay between 280 lbs to 320 lbs. As a result of my weight problem I currently suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes type 2, sleep apnea, depression and extreme lower back pain. As a result of all these medical problems, I had to quit my job with the state, I lost the house I was buying, and now I have to raise a family of 4 on Social Security Disability. About 2 years ago my sisters who also suffered from obesity had Gastric by-pass surgery with great success, to date they have both lost their weight and are living much happier lives. Here is my problem. I currently have seen two doctors *****fuse to sign off on gastric by pass surgery for myself. Because it is too risky of a surgery. They feel a good diet is a better way to go, which I would agree with except I have tried almost every diet there is with little to no success. My Mom is obese and she has dieted the last 40 years of her life. I don't want to do the same thing. I just want to get the weight off and go back to work. I realize it is a risky surgery, but the weight will kill me eventually anyway. I am willing to take the risk of surgery. Please any advise anyone can give me about local doctors or about the surgery would be a great help. I am not sure what to do ?????
latzylove
on 7/28/04 11:32 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi matt, Have you tried talking to a gastric bypass surgeon? What about seeing your sisters doctor?The NW center for weight management in Federal Way or St Joes Hospital has seminars you could go to to find out more info/options they might know of some doctors who support the surgery.I know that a lot of doctors that are not well educated on gastric bypass surgery so they don't recommend it to their patients.I hope this info is helpful.Take care...
Rachael E.
on 7/28/04 12:45 pm
I am unsure about a primary care provider, but I know Dr. James Weber in Seattle would love to help you. He has orientation/ information meetings once a month. In order to get a 1 on 1 visit with Dr. Weber you must attend this orientation and then you can call to make an appointment. He has a hefty list of things to follow prior to surgery, but it's well worth it. He's a GREAT guy and an EXCELLENT surgeon. I would probably ask Dr. Weber at your 1 on 1 who he would reccommend to be your primary care Dr. I know everyone here knows a little of everything, so.....just ask and we'll help you out as much as we can. Welcome to the message board.
Kimanne B
on 7/28/04 4:02 pm - Near The Emerald City, wa
Dear Matt, I feel your pain. I'm on SSI and I know its not much to live on. However, if you come to the Seattle area, I feel you might have a better chance with WLSurgeons rather then just a local provider. Dr. Thirlby in Seattle at Virginia Mason is taking new Medicare patients as is Dr. Hunter in Federal Way, also of Virginia Mason. My advice to you would be don't give up!!! My experience is, you can call the same doctors office and get a different answer everytime! They hardly seem to know whats going on. I know that Evergreen and a lot of the "Up North" Doctors like, Lauter, Clinch, Kevin Montgomery and Brad Watkins do take Medicare but you have to self pay first THEN get reimbursed. I don't know too many people that have thousands of dollars laying around, so that was NOT an option for me lol. I am seeing Dr. Thirlby, a friend of mine on this website is seeing Dr. Hunter both take Medicare without any hassles. Oh yes, there is also Dr. Cray of Seattle Virginia Mason as well. May God Bless you on your endeavor, and remember, don't give up! It's out there, you just have to find it! God Bless, Kimanne
RichardWash
on 7/29/04 3:26 pm
- I had thirlby with medicare, he is a AWESOME doctor
Most Active