Depressed but trying

LRoman
on 7/24/04 3:03 pm - Aberdeen, WA
I was denied by medicaid saying that they do not feel that bariatric surgery is medically necessary. My doctor wrote to them and tried and they denied her request. I have since sent them more info and told them a little about myself and my family. Getting really depressed due to they should not have the right to decide a persons fate and that is exactly what they are doing. I have even checked out getting an attorney but they are too expensive and so that is out of question. If anyone has a suggestion on another medical or what I info I could give them it would be much appreciated. Thank you
lightlyspice
on 7/25/04 2:12 am - Oak Grove, KY
What other symptoms besides arthritis and elivated platletes did you put down? They are probably looking for common symptoms like Gerd, joint pain, sleep apnea, asthma,etc. Did you says you sent a history of your struggle to lose weight? All of the diets you have tried? If all of that fail and you want to go to the legal aspects of it, try Legal Aid. It is a gov't ran program and it is free to low income families. I know they have it in some other states and they should have it up here. I hope that everything works out and I will be praying for your situation to turn about.
Molly T.
on 7/26/04 8:50 am - Spokane, WA
Have you tried the WISH Center out of Seattle? They help you get a loan to pay for the surgery at a low rate...sorta low... I also just became approved for state medical and would like to pursue the surgery...What's the process?
ncarter11
on 7/27/04 2:30 am - Edmonds, WA
Here's what I found on coverage for gastric bypass in Medicaid in WA: Gastric bypass surgery, which is a variation of the gastrojejunostomy, is performed for patients with extreme obesity. Gastric bypass surgery for extreme obesity is covered under the program if (1) it is medically appropriate for the individual to have such surgery; and (2) the surgery is to correct an illness which caused the obesity or was aggravated by the obesity. Here's the link: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/manuals/06_cim/ci35.asp#_1_46 (copy and paste the entire link becasue it looks like the whole link was not captured.) Now, I would call Medicaid and say that you are try to discover how to go about being approved and ask tons of questions. Make sure you have your comorbidities diagnosed and documented. Include everything you can regarding your weight history - family members included. Oh! And talk try and find others who *have* gotten approved and find out what they did. Here are quite a few - contact a few and ask questions on their approval process: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgery+insurers+in+washington.html?Page=8 Talk to your doc's office about others they have worked with who got approved with medicaid. Ask for help in lining things up right for approval. Hoping the best for you! Blessings,
Most Active