Sorry everyone it's ABCNews.com

lightlyspice
on 7/21/04 5:33 pm - Oak Grove, KY
Here is some of the story, you can read the rest at this site. Loren Root, 52, says she now regrets having gastric bypass surgery. Her doctor says she is slowly starving to death. (ABCNEWS.com) A Costly Choice Weight-Loss Surgery Wrecks Woman's Health July 20, 2004 -- Loren Root has gone from one weight extreme to another, and she's scared her fragile health is about to fail. "I'm dying," said Root, 52, of California, who weighs just 87 pounds. "And I've been in constant pain for the last 2 ½ years." At that time, Root weighed 330 pounds and she underwent gastric bypass surgery to shrink her stomach and cut the absorption of food in her intestine. But she couldn't stop losing weight after the operation. "I lost 200 pounds in the first year," she said on Good Morning America. "I was very sick. I had all kinds of internal problems. I've been in the hospital over 30 times in the last 2 ½ years." During surgery, Root's doctor separated her stomach from her esophagus (the tube that carries food from the mouth) and created a tiny stomach -- a pouch -- that was then attached to the lower part of her small intestine. The pouch is about 1 ½ tablespoons in size, thus cutting the amount of food absorption. A ring was put around the pouch to slow the food intake so that Root would feel full after just a few bites. "Yeah, you feel full, but for me," she said, "I'll throw it up, or I'll just get nauseous." A Mystery Root and her doctors don't know what's wrong with her body, and she now regrets going into the surgery without asking enough questions. "[I] didn't do any research or any investigation or anything, like a dummy," she said. Root's weight wasn't a problem while she was growing up in Los Angeles. But after a divorce that left her raising a son on her own, she packed on the pounds and lost her job as a legal secretary. "I would use food as, you know, a comfort," she said. "I would find myself, you know, staring in -- opening the refrigerator and just staring into it. You find yourself doing that and eating." Her parents worried about her health. "She'd stay in the house and watch TV and eat candy," said her father, Mitch Root.
Most Active