so many people are freaked out!

tinktee
on 7/17/04 10:12 am - Spanaway, WA
Hi everyone, I just got back from my great niece birthday party. Several of my family member's were there and I have spoke to them about wls. Some are cool and supportive and other's are not. My nephew's wife is a medical asst and is very good at it, but I talk to her about the wls and WOW she got up set that I was even concidering it. I told her about the success stories and she said but you never hear about the not so good! She proceeded to tell me about 2 poeple she knew that had the wls and how horrible it turned out for these people. She said it was so intrusive! I ask her what about heart disease, HBP and so on? I guess what I'm feeling is, why do people think of the worst case senareo (sp)? How many horrible stories have any of you heard of? Is the wls that dangeruos? Thank you Tink
skudoozie
on 7/17/04 12:34 pm - Elk, WA
Tink, I would guess that everyone goes through well meaning people telling you horror stories. I have had my share. Of course WLS is nothing to take lightly and there ARE risks. I have talked to many, many who have gone through procedures and have done exceedingly well. And a few have had problems. If you hang around a couple of the Boards, you will hear the problems that people sometimes have. I am in my 50's so I am on the over 50 board most of the time and I have learned a lot there. You might want to just lurk there if you are younger and see what you can learn. My experience is that usually the horror stories are in one of two catagories, either the surgeries were done more than five years ago (a lot of progress has been made in the meantime) or they heard about a friend of a friend from a friend (these tend to take on a huge drama with few facts to evaluate). Lastly, although your nephew's wife is a medical assistant, she certainly doesn't have as much knowledge in this area as a good bariatric surgeon, nutritionist, or psychologist. Just educate, educate, educate yourself. This was a good question so keep asking them! Suzie
Shelley G.
on 7/17/04 3:23 pm - Wenatchee, WA
Hi Tink. Sorry you got some negative responses. I am a medical assistant who is having wls next Friday. I know a nurse who had it last summer and is very glad she did. My brother had it in March - down 95 lbs. and feeling better than he has in years. I have been very fortunate. I have only had one negative response, and that was from a lady 100 lbs. heavier than me who said she was scared by a TV show. I know that some people die from wls, but people can die from any surgery. There can be complications, but to me it's worth the risk. I can't work, can't walk a block without stopping to rest, can barely breathe, and take 14 medications a day. I'm only 45 and feel 90 most days. Some people are negative by nature, and some just love to share bad news. Do some research - this site is a wonderful resource - then make up your own mind. Only you can decide. Best of luck in your journey. Shelley
talkingkatz
on 7/17/04 5:13 pm - Maple Valley, WA
I'm finding that the negative responses come from people who have heard stories from the old surgeries. However, make sure you research the different surgeries. If there are special nutritional requirements, make sure you follow those guidelines. Especially in the more distal procedures. Some folks, if the procedure they've chosen is more 'malabsorptive' must make sure to get extra protein and vitamins into their system because the intestines are now absorbing only a percentage of those nutrients. All malabsorptive procedures are like this, but some of the more extreme need more supplements than others. And, it is major surgery, and shouldn't be taken lightly. Some people really do not understand our viewpoint and never will. Some of the people who I've told have later said they thought it was awful that I was going to do that to myself. Funny thing, those were really skinny people who can't possibly see the way life looks from behind our eyeballs.
Sonja S.
on 7/17/04 6:14 pm - Issaquah, WA
Tink, I had similar reactions from family members when I mentioned I was considering WLS. My sister, who has been thin all her life, seemed the most upset about it. (I was kinda hoping someone would say, "gee, you don't look big enough to qualify for WLS!" - but alas, no such luck ) It's easy for people who have never been obese to shun the procedure, and they probably really do mean well. However, they don't know how miserable it is to be a prisoner in your own body, to face life-threatening obesity-related diseases and to be socially alienated and discriminated against; therefore, they have no right to condemn your decision. In fact, you should be applauded for having the courage to take charge of your health!
Michael H.
on 7/18/04 11:07 pm
Hi my name is michael, and yes I have heard of the stories where something went wrong. Two weeks before my surgery, two women died in surgery. Then again the surgen wasn't certified or this type of surgery. Last I heard there was no comment from the doctor who was somewhere over sea now. If you have a certified surgen, a good program and a follow up program then the ricks are the same as any surgery. I will say that you need to follow a very strict diet for the first several weeks, some people say I was eatting beef, chicken, pork what ever two weeks after surgery. This is just plain stupid, you need to start all over just like a baby, of course you progress quicker, I myself was able to eat almost 1 full scrammbled egg at two weeks. I didn't start chicken until about 4 1/2 to 5 weeks out. I am now 7 months and able to eat as I please, of course limited sugar, and carbs. Write me if you would like to talk more. Michael Hopkins [email protected]
pat9047
on 7/20/04 12:51 am - CO
Any type of surgery can be dangerous. What you have to determine is what is the best option for you. This is a lifetime commitment and NOT an easy solution. Yes, there are horror stories but there are stories of success and joy. Give careful consideration to all your options and then make your final decision.
Most Active