All's well in Hatland

JustHat
on 7/12/04 7:42 pm - NM
In case anyone out there has actually been keeping up on my saga, I thought I would post an update. Last week I found out that I would have to call my PCP and ask for a referral to see a civilian WL surgeon because mine was expired. I need it to cover the pre-op appointment. I wasn't able to sleep all weekend. Last night I went to bed around 5:30 am only to have to be back up again at 6::45. After reading Rachael's post this morning about calling Pam, I decided I would give her a call. She wasn't in the office on Friday when Lisa said I would have to get a new referral. I hoped Pam could/would help me. But, mostly I wanted to find out how much the appointment would cost me if I couldn't get the referral in time. $75 if your interested. But, Pam told me that when TriWest came over, they gave everyone extentions for any referrals that Tricare had approved before a certain date. She said that she thought I had received an extention. I didn't have any paperwork that said any such thing. And, Friday, the TriWest people just scratched their heads about the whole thing. So, as of today, there is nothing standing in my way or to distract me from being nervous. That is good and bad because now I have 2 weeks to worry. I went by the pharmacy to review my prescriptions. I needed to make sure all of my meds could be crushed and taken that way. And, as of tomorrow, I can't take anything for my arthritis. Well, Tylenol. But, I know that doesn't help very much. The pharmacist wasn't around to help me. But, I had a very long talk with a pharm tech. I would have been nervous about that. But, my dad was a pharmacist and I grew up in a pharmacy. So, I got a good feel for the guy and trust what he told me. Near the end of our talk, he mentioned that he had part of his thyroid removed. Then we talked about trying to lose weight with a hypothyroid. I haven't told hardly anyone that I am having this surgery. But, it seemed we had a bond. So, I mentioned to him that if it ever got bad enough, then he could get WLS. He didn't know this. We talked for a really long time. And, by the end I had invited him to come and check out OH. He told me to ask for him when I get out of the hospital and go to get my prescriptions filled. I also stopped by to see my PCP's nurse. She is a saint. She went above and beyond for me more than once. I took her a little thank you gift. She wants to see me after the surgery too. As always, she said to contact her with anything I need. We went ahead and set up an appointment with my PCP for 10 days after surgery. I figure it couldn't hurt to have that appointment ready just in case I need it. And, if I don't, then I still need to hit him up for a referral to see the nutrition clinic again. They want to see me between 4 and 6 weeks. I hope everyone has less backward steps than I had. But, even if you don't, remember, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Just stay focused on what you want. Don't let anyone discourage you. ~Hat
Rachael E.
on 7/14/04 1:02 am
I'm so happy to see things were worked out! I am right there....it's so close....I even had dreams about being on the phone and this lady saying you've been approved....I'm not anxous or anything. LOL How do you feel? Are you stressed? Worried? Calm? Excited? Mixed? What will they be doing at your pre-op? I know what Derek had done but in our situtaion- it's so much different. What hospital did you decide on? You will be doing your registering there the same day as your pre-op right? Keep me updated on you....I'm just around the corner... Rachael
Most Active