Washington insurance question

B H.
on 7/6/04 8:33 am - Lynnwood, WA
I've spoken to my insurance company (Regence Selections) and have been told that my policy has a written obesity exclusion. I then called the insurance broker for my employer and had a long conversation with her; she says that the only insurer in Washington that's currently covering WLS is Group Health, and they're going to drop their coverage next January. Apparently certain very large employers such as Boeing and Microsoft have been able to negotiate obesity riders that cover the surgery, but smaller groups like mine are out of luck. Is that the experience of the people here? Is there any point at all in even trying to do battle with Regence? I've been with them for seven years now, and I have never been very happy with them. Am I licked before I even start?
kathyg
on 7/6/04 12:16 pm - Shelton, Wa
You don't say where you work at but I live in Washington State and my insurance paid 100 % of my surgery. KAthy -106.5
JustHat
on 7/6/04 2:21 pm - NM
"she says that the only insurer in Washington that's currently covering WLS is Group Health, and they're going to drop their coverage next January. " I have Tricare/TriWest and they are covering my surgery 100%. If you click on "Insurers" to the left, you can look and see who has covered the surgery recently. There are a lot of companies that aren't covering the surgery. And, a year from now, there will probably be less companies covering it or it will be harder to qualify, but there are still companies that are covering the surgery. Good luck, ~Hat
tinktee
on 7/6/04 3:34 pm - Spanaway, WA
Hi Hat, I was wondering the name of the insurance you were talking about? I have Medicare and I was wondering if that is the insurance you wrote about? I called Dr. Lauter's office today and I have an appointment for Aug. 25th. The lady at the front desk said, the doctor does accept Medicare although the hospital stop taking the insurance because Medicare does'nt preapprove to the hospital. Doctor Lauter is searching out another hospital that will accept patient's with Medicare. I'm worried about the surgery because the doctor does the gastric bypass and I hear that is the dangerous proceeder. Can you please help ease my mind and write to me. I hope to hear from people that have had both types of surgery. One more thing please, does any one know of a good surgen that will take Medicare? Thank you with all my heart, Tink-tee
JustHat
on 7/6/04 5:16 pm - NM
I have Tricare/TriWest (military insurance). I am having open because my insurance won't pay for lap. But, if I had a choice, I would still want open. ~Hat
Sonja S.
on 7/11/04 1:08 pm - Issaquah, WA
"she says that the only insurer in Washington that's currently covering WLS is Group Health, and they're going to drop their coverage next January." Ok, so does anyone know of an employer that uses Group Health? I'm desperate...
Shelley G.
on 7/8/04 12:03 am - Wenatchee, WA
Try clicking on Insurers at the top of the page, then clicking on WA. Many insurers are covering wls in WA. I have First Choice and they are covering 100%. Don't give up before you have even started. Make sure when you are talking to insurance people about wls you mention "medical necessity". Most companies will exclude it except if it is deemed medically necessary. Good luck. Shelley
Christine D.
on 7/11/04 1:51 am - WA
I have Kaiser through my husbands work and they are covering it. I had BCBS and they too had a written in exclusion clause. You can give up all the fight if your insurance has that in it. Good luck, Christine
Most Active