Hard day here...

Rachael E.
on 6/16/04 5:03 pm
Well, it's been a very HARD and VERY emotional day. Derek's surgery started at about *;30am and he didn't get out of surgery until about 1:30....there were a few complications, but everything going well now. I couldn't see him until about 4pm... I saw him for only a minute, then about an hour and a half later I got to meet him up in his room. It really hurts me to see him in so much pain. I am just about out of tears. He has a very very large incision...because they said it was hard to get to a few things. The incision is about 12-14 inches....it breaks my heart- I wish I could just take over at least half of the pain so he could rest more easily. It's a pretty big roller coaster emotionally. I stayed until they kicked me out at 10pm...so it's been a long day for me...I was up at 3:45am. Thanks to you all for the messages, calls, notes, everything! YOu guys all mean so much to us! I will try to update tomorrow on how he's doing, but I think I may stay closer to him for a few days. ~Rachael~
hyfn8ed
on 6/16/04 5:31 pm - yakima, wa
Rachael My incision was about the same (13") and I am only 5' tall. (I am 5 weeks out) Just know that he can handle the pain because the relief and joy he is feeling for completing this step far out weighs (no pun) the discomfort. tell him to hit that pain button as often as he likes. they won't send him home without some meds...just tell him to take it easy. He should sleep alot...let him and don't worry, it is probably harder on our loved ones that it is on us. they will probably want him up by tomorrow, walk around the nurses station with him and make sure he does what the DR orders. They said 2-6 weeks recovery but I was able to go back to work after 3 weeks for half days and am still doing fine. Be cheerful and excited for him...he's a loser now vicki
JustHat
on 6/16/04 5:49 pm - NM
Rachael, thanks for the update. I must have check the site 50 times tonight. And, I worried about you both all day long. I'll leave the advice to the post-ops and just wish him a speedy recovery. -Hat
Iridescense
on 6/17/04 1:21 am - university place, WA
Hi Rachel, I am so sorry that Derek is hurting. And I'm sorry tha****ching him is hurting you. Since I am not there yet I can't offer any hands on knowledge, but I can tell you to "hang in there". He will get through it a day at a time, and each day he will be feeling better. Give him my sicerest wishes for a minimally (or totally) painfree and problem free recovery. He's now on the losing side. Yeah..... I will pray for him and for you also. Smile and stay strong. All will be well in the end. Cindy
karen C.
on 6/17/04 5:37 am - Kennewick, WA
Rachael and Derek, Hope things are starting to look better. Rachael, I know how hard it is to watch a loved one hurting. The end result will be worth it and the bad memories will be replaced by wonderful new ones. Cling to those thoughts. I'm hoping to have surgery this fall. Still doing the "insurance approval thing." I live in Kennewick, WA and will be having surgery in Kirkland with Dr. Lauter. You're both in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, Karen
kathyg
on 6/17/04 11:54 am - Shelton, Wa
Rachel, I don't know if it is to late but my Dr had a epidural put in me before the surgery, believe it or not I had zero pain and only took pain meds once after I got home. I also had open rny my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery are with you and Derek . Kathy
lightlyspice
on 6/17/04 4:03 pm - Oak Grove, KY
Sorry I missed our time to get together, but I just want you to know that Derek and you are on my mind. You take care of yourself and the doctors will take care of Derek.
Most Active